How much are Grolsch bottles worth to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I'm doing a little bit of bottle collecting while I am on my brewing hiatus.
I have 2 people I found on CraigsList that have Grolsch bottles to sell.

The one lady is firm at 1.00$ a bottle. I don't know, but I think that is a little pricey. Maybe I'm wrong.:eek:

What would you guys pay, or what have you paid for Grolsch bottles?

A buck a bottle seems reasonable. Buy them anywhere else and you'll be faced with shipping charges based on their weight. If I liked Grolsch bottles, I'd be all over that deal...

I would pay $1.00/bottle if they were soaked and the labels removed and the gaskets were real nice...maybe

But I lucked out and got a case of 24 Grolsch bottles for free, found them in my uncle's shed!:D

I suppose it would depend on how good the bottles were. My LHBS sells them for about $3 each (12 per case) but I can buy singles from a beer store down the road for $2.29 with beer in them and $7.99 for a 4 pack, so I buy them from there and force myself to drink the beer in them.

Unless I NEEDED a set of them within the next week, I'd pass on $1 a bottle for that reason but if you're in need, sometimes money isn't the prime reason.

I paid 50 bucks for 200 brown grolsch style flip tops, they were actually unlabeled flexicap bottles. I keep giving them away (filled with beer) as I keg now, but they do come in handy every once in a while.

How much is a case of Grolsch from the store? Seems to me that if it's under $30, you're be better off just buying the beer.

Good question, I have about 30 of them & other than buying new washers, haven't spent a nickel. They're really too big for me, because I mainly bottle meads and the flippies are 750-1500 ml.

I paid $10 for 60 Grolsch bottles, which I found out was a pretty good deal. I guess $1 per isn't the greatest deal you'll hear of, but these are great bottles for homebrew. If you can wait, it may be worth it to look around for some other options, but if you need the bottles now I wouldn't feel too bad about $1 per bottle.

I paid $.50 a piece for 80. They're OK, but they're a .5 L and a pain to me. I actually prefer using regular bottles and have sold about 40 of my flip tops.

Grolsch is usually skunked since it comes in green bottles. I've also heard that people have problems with eh EZ-cap bottles. I guess the plastic tops don't seal as well as the ceramic.

adx said:
I guess the plastic tops don't seal as well as the ceramic.

Are Grolsh tops plastic? They feel the exact same to me as the material used to seal the growlers I get from Brewer's Alley (a local brewery). I've never had a problem sealing either, though it's possible I don't know what I'm looking for.

Chase said:
I've never had Grolsch before. Is it really that bad?

I think to a certain extent this is exageration. Grolsh tastes like a BMC only SLIGHTLY more flavorful. That's not to say BMC is good or bad, some people like it and some people dislike it. Personally, I don't like lagers at all so I choke it down for the bottles but a BMC drinker might enjoy it quite a bit.

Chase said:
Why not get get something like this?

Grolsh comes in bottles very similar to that only they're green. My local home brew shop sells flip tops that are blue glass, the neatest thing, but you have to buy a dozen. For me, it's harder to justify dropping $30 on bottles I "want" but a great deal just can't be passed up. :D

Some people gave gotten great deals on them - I'm kind of jealous. :mug:

I'd probably buy 50 or so just to keep in my homebrew-pimp stable. They look nice if you're giving them as gifts...better than regular bottles. I'd just be adamant at getting them back. Whether you buy them for a buck a piece or with beer in them depends on whether you can stand the beer. Or you could be like Ed and do the 22 oz buzz in a bottle. Buy something you can drink in mass quantities that comes in a 22...then you're set.

chase said:
I've never had Grolsch before. Is it really that bad?

I have had a few that were really quite good, but most of them have been sitting on the shelf under a light for sooo long that they have skunked.

I regret having tried to "stock up" on empty Grolsch bottles, because 22oz bombers are really the way to go. They hold a lot more, and are shipping-friendly.

I don't have enough bottles for my 080808RIS coming up... time to splurge on more 22's.

chriso said:
I regret having tried to "stock up" on empty Grolsch bottles, because 22oz bombers are really the way to go. They hold a lot more, and are shipping-friendly.

I don't have enough bottles for my 080808RIS coming up... time to splurge on more 22's.

Just a quick hijack for those looking for 22's. If you eat sushi, or even have a sushi restaurant near you, they sell a lot of Sapporo, in 22 oz bottles. I usually get 2-3 bottles per dinner there, but if it's a Fri or Sat night, I bet if you popped in right before closing they would give you all the bottles. I live in SF, so there are like 50 sushi restaurants in a 5 block radius, so one day I am going to do that. The other Japanese beers, like Asahi, are screw top, but Sapporo is pop-top.

Jason

chriso said:
I regret having tried to "stock up" on empty Grolsch bottles, because 22oz bombers are really the way to go.

I keg beers I'm going to drink myself. It's the ones I plan to give away that I want to put in Grolsh bottles. While I persoanlly like the 32 ounce bottles for my brews, the "uninitiated" find this amount of beer to be "too much" so for me the smaller size is actually a benefit.

I wanted some flip-tops, so I just bought a few cases at my LHBS. They are brown (> green), same size as the standard Grolsch, have brand new caps and gaskets, no labels to remove, etc...

I think its about $18 for 12 bottles, or $1.50 each. Well worth $1.50 for me to have brand new, brown bottle... No need to clean/remove labels, no need to replace gaskets for a long while, etc.

I do have 3 Grolsch bottles I picked up at a fleamarket. I paid $1 for the 3 (.33 each) for the heck of it...

rdwj said:
How much is a case of Grolsch from the store? Seems to me that if it's under $30, you're be better off just buying the beer.

That's what I was going to say. I don't think that Grolsch is completely undrinkeable. As long as it's not skunked. *shrug*. I dunno, for the hassle of having to deal with people and go and get the bottles, I'd agree that going and picking up a case might be worth it. 'Course, I have no idea what they want for the stuff.

I buy single bottles of Grolsch every now and then. I really don't like the beer, but it's convenient for me, as I brew beer for a diabetic friend of mine. He can't drink a whole beer at a time, so he re-seals it and sticks it in the fridge.

bob

Kevin Dean said:
Are Grolsh tops plastic? They feel the exact same to me as the material used to seal the growlers I get from Brewer's Alley (a local brewery). I've never had a problem sealing either, though it's possible I don't know what I'm looking for.

Grolsh comes in bottles very similar to that only they're green. My local home brew shop sells flip tops that are blue glass, the neatest thing, but you have to buy a dozen. For me, it's harder to justify dropping $30 on bottles I "want" but a great deal just can't be passed up. :D

Some people gave gotten great deals on them - I'm kind of jealous. :mug:

In California, the pop tops need to be made of plastic as the ceramic tops mess with the recycling furnaces. They also make brown grolsh and brown grolsch bottles, you can get some old fashioned brown bottles if you look hard.

A friend was cleaning out a storage space awhile back and ran across 100 or so brown Grolsch bottles with ceramic tops. He gave them to me, I cleaned them all and have been using them. I remember back in the 70's drinking when the Grolsch bottles were all brown.
AP

I've bought some Fischer Amber in 22 oz. brown fip tops. And, IMHO Fischer > Grolsh, Brown > Green, and 22 oz > 16 oz. They cost me 3.19 full so... That's what I do. But I would consider latching onto some for a buck a piece. They work very well for Apfelwein.

I was in Sam's Club last night. They had 1.5 liter Grolsch flip-tops for $9.

The bottle would be sweet for homebrew, but I passed....

I know this is an old thread but I happened to come across it and I had to laugh because I remember seeing 6 swing top Grolsch bottles on ebay for ¢.99 but the shipping was $27.33! I can buy swing top Grolsch bottles full of beer for about $2.25 at my local place. I can't imagine anyone wanting those bottle so bad as to pay that much for shipping.

What about these 1.5 Liter bottles? I found a guy who wants $35 for 12 of them. Apparently they're a limited run....

He also has a case of 24 for $15. That seems pretty good to me.

I found the 1.5 L bottles at my local beer store for $10 so i grabbed 2 of them for Apfelwein gifts. I am going to tell whoever i give them to if they ever want anymore of my beer or apfelwein though they must return them. For the 16 oz bottles i have a local bar that sells Grlosch in the swing top so they say the bottles for me and i get them free. No deposits required in Texas. The bar is good for a case a week considering they sell the beer for $6 a bottle. I do not worry about the green glass as i store my beer in a dark closet under my stairs.

Guys,
I probably spent way too much for them @ 17 bucks each, but I bought some 1/2 gallon brown glass flip tops off ebay awhile back, and they are great for a session, as do the people that crack them open usually empty the thing that day.
They're no taller than a standard pint 1/2 bottle, and have a neat rounded lower like a maple jar.
Here's a link.........
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-flip-top-grow...yZ146226QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't particularly like these bottles for homebrewing since they are more prone to infections and other troubles if the gaskets aren't perfectly seated, but Schwelmer Alt runs about $8 for a sixpack at my local hippie grocery store. The Alt is decent, plus you get six 1/3 liter (11.2 fl oz) *brown* swingtops for free. Certainly beats skunky Grolsch and those green bottles.

Back