how much alcohol content does honey add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first batch of beer. I think I'm going to do something very similar to the "Orange Blossom Special" on this site. It will contain 6 lbs of DME wheat. The recipe calls for 2lbs of honey. I am told that adds to the alcohol content. I'm not looking for a huge buzz here. I checked out the calculater on another site but it didn't have a place to add honey into the mix. Any idea of how much a lb of honey adds to the alcohol?

......honey is very fermentable, without a calculator, I am not sure.

I believe it is one of the most, if not the most fermentable thing there is, probably close to what a lb of sugar would add.

Thanks for the help. I knew it would be guess work, but I appreciate the replies. I may cut back to 1lb instead of 2.

Sure will, add anything more than a pound and you risk a cidery taste IMHO. If you're looking for honey flavor you can use come crystal and honey malts. On another note, I've primed some of my Wheat's with it and had very good results.

Sure will, add anything more than a pound and you risk a cidery taste IMHO. If you're looking for honey flavor you can use come crystal and honey malts. On another note, I've primed some of my Wheat's with it and had very good results.

I'd call it more of a meady flavor ;)

As others have said, because honey is so fermentable, very little of the original flavor remains. It's a good way to add alcohol without much more flavor or thin the beer and lighten the color (when replacing malt).

Back