How much affect does dry hopping have on carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Dry hopping provides nucleation points for CO2 to escape. Most priming calculators assume about 1 volume of CO2 is in the beer before adding priming sugar. Anyone any idea how much is lost when dry hopping.

My latest batch, a session IPA, was at 1.007 (from OG of 1.045), after 3 weeks. Airlock was still, and had been for a while. On Saturday I added about an ounce of pellets, and shortly after the airlock started off at a steady pace, and continued for about a day. Sunday I added another ounce of leaf, but got no more activity. I can only assume it was off-gassing CO2, due to the nucleation sites created by the pellets.

My Pale Ales are usually carbed fine, but I go for 3 volumes. If I'm short a half volume, I might not notice it. Anyone seen any issues carbing dry hopped beers?

No problems here, but I keg and always use the proverbial "set and forget" method, which resolves pretty much anything to do with carbonation...

Cheers!

Back