How much ABV should I expect during conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBR97

Reaction score
How much rise in ABV is typical for beer while its carbonating? I just bottled some caribou slobber and I forgot to do an OG reading. I used the estimate from the website.
OG - 1052
FG - 1024
Using an online calculator I'm getting 3.5%

My fermenting temps were a bit too high. And the beer tastes a little sweet, which I'll assume is due to the higher temps. I had overflowing fermentation the first night, and then very little activity for the next 3 weeks.

Are you sure you are at a stable FG? 24 seems pretty high for that beer.

The priming sugar only adds about 0.2% abv.

If you used a kit and followed the recipe exact. Your readings are off and you need not worry. Unless like I said you botched the recipe.

Is it an extract kit? 1.024 seems really high even for extracts which often end up high. Priming sugar will change the ABV very little. If you have not bottled I would check the gravity again. If it is that high I would swirl it a little and wait another few days.

Sweet is either due to a lot of unfermentables of an under fermented beer not something that is due to high fermentation temperatures. Caribou Slobber might be naturally sweeter than beers that you are used to.

If in bottles but them in a storage container in case you have any bottle bombs.

Leave them as is and get your next batch started.

Are you sure you are at a stable FG? 24 seems pretty high for that beer.

The priming sugar only adds about 0.2% abv.

Am I sure?, No.
But I figured 3 weeks was good, maybe it wasn't.
I was ready to start bottling last week but I went on a vacation. I figured I'll just wait the extra week and do it when I got back. That would be a total of 3 weeks in fermentor.

Is it an extract kit? 1.024 seems really high even for extracts which often end up high. Priming sugar will change the ABV very little. If you have not bottled I would check the gravity again. If it is that high I would swirl it a little and wait another few days.

Sweet is either due to a lot of unfermentables of an under fermented beer not something that is due to high fermentation temperatures. Caribou Slobber might be naturally sweeter than beers that you are used to.

If in bottles but them in a storage container in case you have any bottle bombs.

Leave them as is and get your next batch started.
Yes it is an extract kit, 1 gallon. They are already bottled and in a box. I'l leave them for 2 more weeks. In the meantime I have a 1gal. Hefe, and a 5g Amber Ale.

Back