How many?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Daybis

Reaction score
I can't say I've dumped any beer. I've had a few I didn't care for, but I've never just dumped a batch of beer because it didn't turn out well. On my bad beers, I try to share them with homebrew club members and I try to use them as examples of what NOT to do. At least this way some good comes of a not-so-good beer.

dutchoven

Reaction score
Zero, though I came close once ... My Soracitrillo Ale (Sorachi Ace, Citra, Amarillo) ... Looked good on paper, but tasted like Pine-Sol and fusal alcohol ... It was tough to get through five gallons. Haven't used Sorachi Ace since.

bengerman

Reaction score
Not a single one. Had to dump half a glass yesterday because of a bad poor though.

OP
Stauffbier

Stauffbier

Reaction score
Zero, though I came close once ... My Soracitrillo Ale (Sorachi Ace, Citra, Amarillo) ... Looked good on paper, but tasted like Pine-Sol and fusal alcohol ... It was tough to get through five gallons. Haven't used Sorachi Ace since.
This is my perdicament right now.. I have a stout that kind of tastes like it has fusal alcohol in it. It kind of tastes "medicinal" (for lack of a better description).. I have a real tough time finishing one 12 oz bottle. Maybe I'll just stick it in a dark, cool closet and forget about it for a few months and see if it becomes more tolerable..

pelipen

Reaction score
One. Not because it was spoiled or infected. I made a lot of mistakes that created a very sub par beer. It was better to reclaim the remaining bottles than suffer through it.

OP
Stauffbier

Stauffbier

Reaction score
One. Not because it was spoiled or infected. I made a lot of mistakes that created a very sub par beer. It was better to reclaim the remaining bottles than suffer through it.
I'm thinking the same thing. Why drink a beer if I don't like how it tastes? I do indeed need the bottles!

trigger

Reaction score
I've dumped 15 gals to infection, 10 to scorched wort, one batch pre-boil because I was sick and just couldn't finish brewing, and probably 25 gallons of beer that didn't have a problem, I just didn't like it and wanted to brew something different. I have no problem dumping beer.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
I have HAD to dump zero. I HAVE only dumped one. When I first started, 10 years ago, because I didn't have any clue as to what I was looking at, when this forum wasn't here. :(

The horror... The horror....

Brulosopher

Reaction score
1... sorta... dumped two separate 1/2 batches,ain't because I needed the kegs and the beers weren't that great (fermented a tad too warm). Still drank most of them though.

OP
Stauffbier

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I really am trying to muscle through this batch. I've consumed about 1/4 of it so far. If I drink just one, when I'm SUPER thirsty every now and then I guess I could do it. Have any of you had any luck with odd flavors mellowing after a long conditioning period?

tdogg

Reaction score
ive dumped a couple. the first was my first all grain batch. i mashed way too high (thermometer issues i think) and it was syruppy sweet. just dumped another all grain batch recently, pretty sure i oversparged and got tannins, or just added too much bittering hops. either way it wasnt good. no "spoiled" batches though.

trigger

Reaction score
I really am trying to muscle through this batch. I've consumed about 1/4 of it so far. If I drink just one, when I'm SUPER thirsty every now and then I guess I could do it. Have any of you had any luck with odd flavors mellowing after a long conditioning period?
What are they off flavors and what type of beer? Despite what most people around here will say, I say not really. Some off flavors "mellow" but they don't go away. For instance when i was really new at brewing I attempted a winter warmer that was a clove and fusel bomb. I moved and misplaced the keg and then got deployed. When I tasted it 2 years later it was better, but still not good, so it went down the drain.

I feel no remorse. I enjoy brewing, so a batch that doesn't meet my standards doesn't get a second chance. It gets replaced.

OP
Stauffbier

Stauffbier

Reaction score
What are they off flavors and what type of beer? Despite what most people around here will say, I say not really. Some off flavors "mellow" but they don't go away. For instance when i was really new at brewing I attempted a winter warmer that was a clove and fusel bomb. I moved and misplaced the keg and then got deployed. When I tasted it 2 years later it was better, but still not good, so it went down the drain.

I feel no remorse. I enjoy brewing, so a batch that doesn't meet my standards doesn't get a second chance. It gets replaced.
Best I can say is a "medicinal" flavor. Almost like a "hot fusel" flavor. It's a chocolate stout (extract).. I'm not sure what happend. I fermented in mid 60's. Practiced good sanitation. Made a yeast starter with wlp002 English ale (which is weird yeast, by the way). All I can think is that I oxidized it some how, or like a friend said maybe my yeast was stressed.. All I know is it doesn't taste too good. I have since gone all grain, and I have made the same beer in AG vs. extract. It's still in primary, so I'm eager to see how it comes out...