How Many Years will a Homebrew last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BigBear

Reaction score
QUESTION? Took 7+ years off & Now I'm re-Brewing ~ So, back in like 1999 or 2000 or so- I bottled some specialty DARK beers and came across various bottles (intact and upright) whilst searching for carboys n such in the attic for my 'comeback' brew. Now-
Can I, or should I - or would you, chill and crack these 13+ year old beers?
Whats the Worst that can happen?

I've had old 5+yr old beer → NOT bad→ but 13 year old ?
I know- ITS NOT WINE!
Anybody ever try this and what 'science' can I expect from a bottle.
thxs
BB
:drunk:

Here's on below from 1996!!! lol

zzzzz1425768_10201785028206357_828195781_n.jpg

Well since it won't have anything actually harmful in it then I would try at least one. I would expect it to taste stale and be not delicious though. Only one way to be sure!

Having tasted some of my own beers at 13+ years, I can tell you that there is at least a good chance it will still be good, and some chance it will actually have improved, even if it isn't a heavy beer.

There is no singular answer to this - it depends on the beer, storage and how well you bottled. The colour of the beer matters little to ageing. High alcohol beers age best. Regardless, over time you'll loose hop character (especially aroma/flavour), and may develop some oxidation (cardboard flavours). SOme carbonation may be lost, dependsing on how well you bottled. I've had a barleywine that was 10+ years old; about half were great ; half were flat and tasted like wet cardboard due to oxidation from loose caps (I think the cap seals dried out).

Bryan

If they are small beers then chances are they won't have aged very well (but I would sure as hell still stick a couple in the fridge and try em).

If they are bigger beers then who knows, they might not be bad. They will surely have some oxidation, but this might be in the form of sherry notes and not so much wet cardboard (usually comes out more in oxidized lighter beers). Let us know how they are :)

Remind me again, how does one manage to forget about the alcohol inventory inside of one's own home? I mean unless you've got so much money that it takes you 10 minutes to walk from one side of your house to the other...

Just drink it!

I found 13 year old cans of Budweiser while going through my Aunt's fridges after she died. She was a borderline hoarder.

It tasted like water. I suppose that was an improvement over its normal fresh piss flavor.

At my mothers house last august I found a homebrew "Pilsner" I bottled in 1993. It was about 6% ABV, must have been all grain, dry yeast, no temp control. Green champagne bottle. But had been stored in wine cellar. Assumed the worst and was very very surprised. Tasted like good beer, not oxidized. Nice carbonation. A touch of bitterness.

Try em...

image-2826465141.jpg

:mug:
Resounding opinion is I won't kill myself from this old beer experiment.
Excellent !
Just testing you guys...
Already chilled some and will taste-test 3 styles this weekend while I bottle my 'Come-Back' Brown Ale.! :rockin: First batch in years !!!!!

Will report back soon... (I hope)

Right on, man. Welcome back to this amazing hobby! Can't wait to hear how the beers taste.

It was a while ago....
But, the REPORT IS IN-

Tasted 3 different 8-10+ year old beer found in a warm dark closet/attic.
A Vanilla Porter
A Brown Ale and
A Cherry Wheat

All poured our with great color and sweet looking foamy heads.
Not overcarbed or flat. Looked Perfect !
WOW...could they be?

Nope- that's all the good news I have.

Nose was a mix of toasted wet cardboard and well... not Anything very good.
Gave 'em all a mouth swirl for science ...
All were a variation of the same feel..

→ Oxidized, acidic, fizzy, frothy, skunky, old alcoholic-ish homebrew.
ie: Dead Beer.! :drunk::drunk:

As we figured..

So► Back to another 2014 Brew in a Bag.! This Saturday !!

YES !!! :ban:

Back