How many volumes of CO2 do i want?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulcan7864

Reaction score
I am about to bottle a hard cider. I would like to use cane sugar to prime the bottles, I'm just not sure what i should be looking for in terms of volumes of CO2. Any help would be appreciated. It is 3 gallons of cider by the way.

Mostly depends on your personal taste. If you want to carb to style we'd need to know the type of cider. I'm not much of a cider drinker but I do make it for guests since the ladies always seem to love it. I force carb to ~2.4 vol simply because that's what most of the lines in my keezer are set to.

Its a apple pomegranate raspberry cider. 2 gallons of motts apple, and 1 gallon of langers pomegranate raspberry. Im not a cider drinker either, its for my SWMBO. I am going to be bottle priming it, and i would like it as carbonated as i could get it, without having bombs or gushers. its going to condition at around 70-76 degrees f. then after a few weeks i will chill it to around 37f. hopefully this is enough info for you.

I don't like carbing standard bottles with more than ~3.2-3.4 vol myself, so if you want really carbonated that's what I'd shoot for. If you have some Belgian bottles you could go higher without risking bottle bombs. If you're unsure about how much sugar to use to get a particular carb level, this priming calculator is really handy.

Back