How many times to rack mead?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jdr01

Reaction score
From what I have read so far it is beneficial to transfer a number of times for clarity.
I did my first mead in April using a fermenter. I transferred to a keg about three weeks ago. I just did a pressure transfer into another keg.
I was surprised when it looked fairly clear and no sediment transfering. I also took a tiny sample to taste. It was not sweet. That was what I wanted. I expected it to be a bit hot because it is so fresh. It was not.
Is this normal for a mead? I thought it would have to age for nine to twelve months.
Thanks

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To rack or not to rack that is the question.... I believe racking is beneficial and I rack until clear - Read a newspaper through it clear. But certainly not required. My sons prefer a cloudy session mead as they like the flavor profile a little better. I personably prefer a clean clear higher ABV mead mostly because it just looks nice.

Mead with proper protocol's and low alcohol <8% or there about certainly can be ready to drink in 30 - 90 days. If higher alcohol and somewhat questionable protocols then yes can take a year or more. I have had 15% mead taste OK at 6-12 months but really good at 42 to 48. (Just a few taste OK after a month or two that were Amazing at 2 years.)

Just some thoughts...

OP
J

jdr01

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What would the be average number of times to rack? Mine is in its third vessel.
How long in each?

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Again, I don't think there are any definitive guidelines. I defer to more general practices.

For me 3 or 4
After Primary Fermentation (8 - 45 days)
After Secondary Fermentation (10 - 60 days after primary)
If I add fruit, spices, chiles etc then I often do an extra after or during secondary. (7 - 14 days)
After clarifying prior to bottling or kegging (30 - 90 days after secondary)

The wide variety in times really depends upon a lot of factors. Amount of sugar, Yeast, temperature, air saturation, Nutrient Additions, CO2 release, clarity, additions to the mead like fruit, spices, chiles etc, etc, and then when i just cant stand not messing with it any longer. :)
Using the protocols I now practice and somewhat have perfected in large part due to the vast amount of knowledge on this forum and from other sources...
- Session meads can be ready to keg and drink on average in roughly 30 days (Yeast pitch to keg)
- High ABV more "traditional" meads typically take 120 days. (Yeast pitch to bottling)

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
I always rack 3, maybe 4 times. First time is just before fermentation is done, so it’s still primary but finishing in a carboy. I transfer everything from bucket to a carboy, leaving behind only solids (fruits and stuff). Then once the batch is done, and basically completely cleared, I rack off the lees into secondary, getting as much of the wine/mead as possible, I don’t worry if i get a little lees in. Once it’s completely done clearing, I’ll then rack off lees again to either bulk age or to bottle.

OP
J

jdr01

Reaction score
Thanks again for the good info.
This gives me a better understanding of the process.

Latest posts