How many shoots per twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I have 4 rizoms planted. All but three one shot up 2 shoots and the last shot up one. When I train these to grow up some twine, can I put 2 shoots on each twine, or do I do one for one.

I guess I'm asking if they will chock eachother out if I do 2 up one piece of twine...

If first year growth , let them be and let all greenery grow, more growth gives more roots for next year.

As for how many bines to let grow - normally 2-3 per rope. Most growers allow 2 ropes per root crown. This a total of 4-6 per plant.

I usually have 5+ bines/twine.

This can cause a host of problems including less yield and smaller cone size due to lack of light, and downey mildew, which can spread and infect the entire plant. The inner bines will not get the air flow and exposure to light they need (they need LOTS of light). The lack of air flow can cause moisture to sit on the inner leaves longer, which causes downey mildew to attack them, which can then spread to the entire plant. Also, the outer bines can strangle the inner bines, cutting off their supply of water and nutrients, leaving a dead rotting bine in the middle of all the others.

I would limit them to 2-3 bines per string. Add more strings if you want to grow more bines

I've got first year plants... should I train all the bines onto the twines or still just 2-3 per twine and let the other ones run rampant at ground level? If the latter, the hopyard is up against the barn so I could probably get the extra bines to climb up the barn.

during the first year, you want to allow as much foliage to grow as possible. they have no roots and the best way for them to produce food to build a good root system is foliage. you could try to fertilize them, but that would encourage vegetative growth at the EXPENSE of root growth. during the establishment year it's not gonna hurt to string 5 or 6 vines up one string as they aren't gonna produce that many sidearms to create a mess when it comes time to pick. once established, you'll be able to make a call as to how many you want to run up each string depending on how vigorous they grow. real vigorous, maybe 2 or 3. little runty sidearms with only 10 or 20 cones, 5,6 or 7 vines. it all depends on how much time you have to pick. also, i'd suggest against allowing them to grow along the ground, most especially if you get a lot of humidity where you live, as you're just asking for a mildew problem. stagnant air is not good. string 'em up and let 'm rip!

Back