How many scoops of OXYclean to remove bottle labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
How many scoops of OXYclean to remove bottle labels in a 5 gallon bucket? 24 Hour soak time.

I used to do this a few years ago but can't remember the concentration...

1 scoop? 2? 3?

Thanks

I do 1 scoop / bucket, swirl around thoroughly, add bottles, wait an hour ~. Peel labels off, if too difficult to peel, I set aside to return. (Looking at you shorts)

Me too. And I've had most labels come off in as little as 2 hours.

I'd imagine I could peel them off that quick too.

I usually let them soak a day or so though just to be sure. Not sure if necessary, just more a habit.

Anything that doesn't come off after a day isn't making the cut and will be tossed aside.

1 scoop, warm water in a cooler, give 'em about 3 hours, a regular kitchen sponge will finish what the oxyclean started, and the solution's still potent enough to de-label a second batch of bottles overnight.

ok, since 1 scoop seems to be the consensus, that's what I'll go with :)

I'll post the results in a few days, I might not get to soaking until Thursday afternoon...

To be clear, I use a 5.5G bucket, and it usually ends up around 4.5-5G of water to cover a full bucket with bottles inside.
After 45-60~ min I dump the contents back into the bucket and place bottles into milk crate, carry to the dishwasher where they wait till dishwasher full, add about .2 scoops, stir again, and add new bottles.

Repeat as necessary. Can clean+sanitize about 200 bottles in like 2.5 hours or so inactive time, active time being about 10 minutes or so.

Back