How many pumps are people using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
For years I only had one pump and I have it attached to my chiller.

I sold all my equipment and will buying all nice stuff.

I want to stop moving hot liquid with buckets and dumping.

I am stuck on two or three pumps.

When I mash, one running RIMS and one running HLT to keep water moving.

When I sparge, one running sparge and one to the boil kettle.

When I boil, for the chiller only.

2 pumps total?
Or 3 to cover back to back batches?

I use one. Recirculate mash thru HERMS located in HLT. Batch sparge - pump first and second runnings to BK. At end of boil, pump from BK thru plate chiller and into conical fermenter.

Over the past couple of week i've upgraded my tubing and went with cam locks for all of my connections so If I need to switch up hoses or transfer liquid, it makes it hell of a lot easier. Right now I have one pump and it seems to be doing the job perfectly. A buddy of mine helped me put in a switch to my temp controller for the eHerms system I have. We brewed today and glad to report the additions and switch have made things so much easier.

I use 2 pumps. 1 to continuously run through my herms and the other recirculates the HLT liquor. If you don't mind moving hoses a couple of times (mine are all tri-clamps) then 2 is all you need. I take the HLT recirculation hose and hook it up my sparge system and take the HERMS hookup and go to the BK.

None. I've never felt the need to add something else that would require cleaning.

I've got two pumps that I'm going to use next weekend for a batch. I tested them yesterday and they appear to be working fine. I can see that I might get one more pump, in order for the the second one to remain fixed to my table instead of pulling double duty - but I can do this down the road.

I use 3 pumps but they are only $18 a piece so why not?...been using them for a year and a half now.
I use these, they are food grade and good for boiling temps, pump about 2.5 gallons a minute. (24v dc version is best)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c4b7c7399

there are a lot of distributors selling them on ebay and amazon and videos of them on you tube if you search P38 pump..

Setup for mashing. image.jpg

I use two pumps with a number 3-way valves that allow me to keep from having to swap out hoses.

Pump 1 handles recirculation of the water in the HLT while mashing and then switched to pump sparge water to the mash tun.

Pump 2 moves my strike water to the mash tun, recirculates the mash through the HERMs, moves the wort to the BK during sparge, whirlpools at the end of the boil and then pumps through my CFC.

I have 5 3-way TC valves to support all of the exchanges.

Well I am planning on wiring my panel to support three pumps.
Not sure if I will ever buy 3 pumps.
Seems easier to wire now then later...

Over the past couple of week i've upgraded my tubing and went with cam locks for all of my connections so If I need to switch up hoses or transfer liquid, it makes it hell of a lot easier. Right now I have one pump and it seems to be doing the job perfectly. A buddy of mine helped me put in a switch to my temp controller for the eHerms system I have. We brewed today and glad to report the additions and switch have made things so much easier.

:off: but I just had to say...

Damn, Genuine, those are some great photos on your site. The lighting and perfect background light balance you obviously work at are really something. When I start my rock group - you da mang!

:off: but I just had to say...

Damn, Genuine, those are some great photos on your site. The lighting and perfect background light balance you obviously work at are really something. When I start my rock group - you da mang!

Hell yeah dude! Let me know and we'll get something set up. In the meantime, where the hell are you in CT? I'm in the NE Corner and we have some epic brew days. :mug:

None. For simplicity, I went with a propane fired HLT, 10 gallon round cooler mash tun, and BK all gravity system. Until I win the Powerball and go with an electric indoor rig it will stay -- Sans Pump..

Hell yeah dude! Let me know and we'll get something set up. In the meantime, where the hell are you in CT? I'm in the NE Corner and we have some epic brew days. :mug:

I seem to be in the corner of the state that beer forgot - Norwalk. Al the homebrew clubs and stores are waaay upstate. Doin the bet we can to keep the faith down here. I have found a few and we're bringing some others along so maybe after a while we'll achieve critical mass. A few of us get together - sometimes on brew days - to brew and/or just trade beers and do a little tasting.

Let me know what you're planning. I could be up for a field trip :)

I use two pumps with a number 3-way valves that allow me to keep from having to swap out hoses.

Pump 1 handles recirculation of the water in the HLT while mashing and then switched to pump sparge water to the mash tun.

Pump 2 moves my strike water to the mash tun, recirculates the mash through the HERMs, moves the wort to the BK during sparge, whirlpools at the end of the boil and then pumps through my CFC.

I have 5 3-way TC valves to support all of the exchanges.

Heckels, I'm doing the same concept, NO Hose Swapping with 2 pumps and I have 3, 3-way T valves. I would to love see your system all hooked up for a brew. I'm thinking the way I have mine plumbed now, maybe I have a place to add an additional 3 way valve. I'd love to show you what I have set up, and see how it compares to yours.
:mug:

Heckels, I'm doing the same concept, NO Hose Swapping with 2 pumps and I have 3, 3-way T valves. I would to love see your system all hooked up for a brew. I'm thinking the way I have mine plumbed now, maybe I have a place to add an additional 3 way valve. I'd love to show you what I have set up, and see how it compares to yours.

:mug:

It ends up looking a little like Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, but gets the job done.

One 3-way on the HLT pump to direct flow to recirc in the HLT or to the mash tun (through the HERMS coil) for sparging.

One 3-way as input to the wort pump being fed by either the BK or Mash Tun.

Then two 3-ways on the output. To direct wort to either the HERMS coil, back to the BK for whirlpooling/transfer from Mash Tub during sparge, and then finally one to the CFC.

Lastly, one 3-way at the input of the HERMS coil accommodate mashing and sparging.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426338386.265182.jpg

It ends up looking a little like Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, but gets the job done.

One 3-way on the HLT pump to direct flow to recirc in the HLT or to the mash tun (through the HERMS coil) for sparging.

One 3-way as input to the wort pump being fed by either the BK or Mash Tun.

Then two 3-ways on the output. To direct wort to either the HERMS coil, back to the BK for whirlpooling/transfer from Mash Tub during sparge, and then finally one to the CFC.

Lastly, one 3-way at the input of the HERMS coil accommodate mashing and sparging.

View attachment 263383

Well thanks so much Heckels for showing, your system looks awesome AND very SHINY!!!

OK My set up starts out the same with the water pump OUTPUT using a 3 way T valve with it directing flow either to the HLT recirculation port and/or, runs sparge water through the Herms coil into my MLT.

I'll heat my strike water in my BK , while heating up my sparge water in my HLT at the same time so I can start mash recirculation as soon as I'm mashed in.

my 2nd pump, the wort pump, has a 3 way T valve on the INPUT side and I have the BK OUTPUT going into the 3 way valve as well as the MLT OUTPUT into it as well.

On the OUTPUT side of the wort pump I have another 3 way T valve that either goes to the BK INPUT whirlpool/Recirculation port OR it goes to the Herms coil to transfer the strike water to the MLT, and also to circulate the mash.

You'll see how I have the 2 pumps joined together. I'm going to pop up a picture here. But I'm going to start another thread about my set up. I do not wanta hijax this thread!
:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

The link of where I put my new thread will be here::::::

Attachments

• 2pumpsetupaltered.jpg
    2pumpsetupaltered.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 91
Back