How many primaries do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 primary buckets and 2 better bottles for secondary. Usually I leave beer in primary for 2 weeks and secondary for one. With this set up i could brew 5 gallons every week but I only brew once or twice a month so its plenty.

Currently I have three beers fermenting....I believe I have another 4 empty fermentors as well.

I went downstairs and did an official count:

4 buckets
1 6.5 gallon glass carboy

Speaking of carboys. . .way too many:

2 3 gallon carboys
18 5 gallon carboys
1 15 gallon demijohn

Most were acquired when we did a lot more winemaking than we do now(only 2 of those carboys currently have wine in them), and routinely did secondaries for beer. Some were acquired from a friend that needed to unload them before a sudden move.

Most of those carboys are not being used (we have never used the 15 gallon). Might be time to get rid of a few.

I have 16 fermentors. 8 single gallon jugs for small test batches of beer, wine, mead. 2 6.5-gallon carboys, 2 6-gallon carboys, 2 5-gallon carboys and 2 3-gallon carboys. Many of my batches require a year or longer so I try to use a 6.5 for primary, then rack to a 6 for secondary and then to a 5 for tertiary. If you look into sour ales you'll see that the beer cycle isn't always a standard thing, some ales and lagers benefit from aging more than most folks realize.

Back