How many paper towels do you go through...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Hog

Reaction score
On brew day? I use about a whole roll because I clean as I go. It's a good thing my wife is a coupon queen or we would go broke buying paper towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I always joke and say I should have invested in paper towels. On a brew day, a roll. I go through a couple rolls a week at least. I don't use sponges on counters and cooktops and such. I'm a weirdo about that. I buy 8 rolls at a time because I go through so much. I also tend to spill a lot of sanitizer and water on my floor during brew and bottling day. I do use a hand towel on the floor then that gets washed but paper towels are used plenty.

Maybe I should start clipping coupons. Your wife is a smart lady.

I am not sure of the count but I use enough that my wife doesnt complain about any mess. Any less than that and I am a dead man.

I really hate using paper towels unless I have to. I do use some sometimes because there is no alternative (like my hlt cannot be inverted and there is sometimes stuff in the bottom). But almost everything can be air dried, why bother wiping it down?

5 maybe. Sometimes 10. I brew in my garage so a little bit of spilled wort is not a big deal. I keep a towel handy for big messes as well.

Maybe 10, most of that drying gear after cleanup. I guess I learned after years of brewing in small spaces how to keep my wife happy and not make messes.

I brew outdoors. No towels of any kind. Hose it and forget it.

If I brewed indoors, I guess I'd invest in a basket of washable towels dedicated for the purpose of brewing. I'm not super-green, but the idea of throwing away a lot of paper towels would probably bother me.

I brew in the garage, but like I said I clean as I go. I don't like putting things away wet.

Sorry but towels get wet and really don't dry everything the way I want them dried. Call me a stickler, but I'll keep using paper towels.

I have 5-6 old bath towels, 5-6 old dish towels and 5-6 old rags. I keep a roll of paper towels in my brew room..... but it lasts a long, long time as I rarely use them.

In use the water from the chiller to clean up too.

On brew day? I use about a whole roll because I clean as I go. It's a good thing my wife is a coupon queen or we would go broke buying paper towels.

None, if everything went right. It's actually a good measure if "everything went right". In reality.. a couple. Mostly because I'm a stovetop brewer. Invariably something drips somewhere..

Rag bucket user. Least used is 0. Twice. Most on a brew day 5 of the larger pieces, tad bit of an overflow. And bottling wand complications. Old bath towels that I'd be embarrassed for guests to see, old t-shirts, etc all end up in the bucket. In fact I'm so "anti-paper towel, minimal laundry" that if it's a big spill onto the floor the first rags to get used is my work shirts* from the dirty laundry. I'm soaking up a spill on the floor after all. After that it's a quick spray with the swiffer type mop, equipped with use-your-own-juice cleaner and washable pads. That thing paid for itself in a month.

*blue collar job, company provided uniform. Who cares if they're wrecked forever?

One dish towel for me. Most of my brewing shizz (buckets, chiller, brew bag) is rinsed and put away wet, though it is put away in such a way as it will air dry in relatively short order. The only stuff I dry are the kitchen items that I use (bowls for hops, measuring cup), my hydrometer, mash paddle, and the BK, but by the time I have washed out the BK, I'm drying it with a mostly wet towel, so even that isn't really dry.

That's another reason I don't use towels. Soap from washing them. I'd rather have a clean paper towel then a soap washed cloth towel.

That's another reason I don't use towels. Soap from washing them. I'd rather have a clean paper towel then a soap washed cloth towel.

If that's a concern, I'll assume that you are also spending the extra money on unbleached all natural paper towels, right?

If that makes you feel better about it, keep on keeping on, but that is some silly logic IMO :). Do you not use soap or cleaner on any of your equipment?

Sorry but towels get wet and really don't dry everything the way I want them dried. Call me a stickler, but I'll keep using paper towels.

Shame on us! Haha!

Zero for me. Family rule, no wasted paper, less waste. Unless i spill LME then I might use 1 to clean up the bulk. I normally use a dish towel. Usually one per brew day.

I hate wasting paper when it is unnecessary, a wet rag or sponge for sugary spills and dedicated towels for everything else. I do end up spraying a lot of water around while cleaning.

Yesterday was brewday, and I used a total of 1 paper towel. And that was mostly to wipe off the Thermapen. I use a sponge to wipe down the equipment when it's being washed, and I just put it on my wire shelving to air dry. I brew outside the basement door most of the time, and the mash tun is in the basement. If I spill something, it's no big deal. The concrete floor inside cleans up easily at the end of the day, and the dirt outside gets cleaned every time it rains. ;)

ZERO.

We have plenty of old towels and wash cloths. I might use 2 towels and 1 washcloth on brewday. Most stuff gets rinsed off and drips dry until I put it away. Most of it is plenty dry by the end of the brew. The towels are actually more for my hands than my equipment.

i use a towel to dry my hands and an old towel for wiping things that get spilled on the garage floor. i also just let things air dry after washing them. if its a sunny day out ill just put it in the sun after washing and rinsing.

i use a towel to dry my hands and an old towel for wiping things that get spilled on the garage floor. i also just let things air dry after washing them. if its a sunny day out ill just put it in the sun after washing and rinsing.

Same exact for me

Sent from myPhone

Back