How many packets of safale us-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RFBrewer

Reaction score
Beginner brewer here and im brewimg a pale ale with an estimated og of 1.056. Should I rehydrate two packs of the safale us-05 or just use one?

1 should be fine. I usually pitch two if I'm above 1.060

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One rehydrated packet should be fine. If it's fresh, then there are approximately 200 billion viable yeast cells in the 11.5 g sachet. If you are brewing 5 Gallons, then your target pitch rate (given your estimated O.G. of 1.056) should be around 197 billion yeast cells, so I'd say one is all you need.

Hot break looks like the foam you get when you boil potatoes only ALOT worse :)

Thanks! I just dont want to under,pitch like I did with my lager.

It's easy to under pitch a lager since they need twice the yeast cells of a comparable ale.

One pack of US-05 rehydrated is fine for your ale batch.

Here's a great calculator to use in the future. Includes a tab for rehydrated dry yeast.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

I like that same calc the best, especially for doing stepped starters. Keep in mind, however, that it uses a very conservative (# guaranteed by the factory) 100 billion cells in an 11g packet of dry yeast. Microscopic counts put it at more like 220 billion (the number used by the Mr. Malty calc)

Just another data point to consider: Fermentis claims each sachet contains 150 billion cells on average at the time of packaging. Personally, that has been the figure I use as my starting point lately.

Yeast is pitched....should I use a blow off tube or air lock?

That depends. How much headspace do you have? What's the pitch temp and current ferment temp?

Some folks always run a blow-off. I most often do not, but I put 5.2 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket, pitch cool (about 60*F for a strain like US-05) and hold the temp around 64*F for the first 3-5 days. It doesn't tend to go crazy that way.

You can't go wrong with a blowoff tube that for sure. My experience is that US05 likes to get very bubbly and slimy on top and will peak around day 2 or day 3. Only clogged airlock I had was with US05 and a lower gravity beer.

Back