How many of your kids can brew beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrclean

Reaction score
Just curious,

My 7 year old enjoys watching me brew and of course it is good bonding time and quite frankly, her taste buds are better when it comes to grain/hops etc. I certainly don't let her try any post fermentation.

I just wonder how this translates down the road. Hate for her to be brewing beer before 21 but than again she would probably save a lot of $ and drink better beer in college if she did:rockin:

I only have one. She brews 3 gallon BIAB, mostly IPAs and stouts, some APAs, the occasional amber.

Steve da sleeve

Both of my kids probably can, as they were around me doing it all the time- and when my son was a teenager, he'd help with mashing in and the heavy lifting.

The funny thing is that neither one of them drink beer as adults, as they simply don't like it. My daughter tends to drink sweet wines and other frou-frou drinks, while my son doesn't drink much at all but will have a mixed drink.

Maybe all the brewing when they were growing up made them detest beer? I don't know, but their friends love to stop over and "visit" me even now and have a beer!

Both of my kids probably can, as they were around me doing it all the time- and when my son was a teenager, he'd help with mashing in and the heavy lifting.

The funny thing is that neither one of them drink beer as adults, as they simply don't like it. My daughter tends to drink sweet wines and other frou-frou drinks, while my son doesn't drink much at all but will have a mixed drink.

Maybe all the brewing when they were growing up made them detest beer? I don't know, but their friends love to stop over and "visit" me even now and have a beer!

I'd bet most of us would like to stop in to 'visit' you and put back a pint!

My 4 year old likes to help when mommy brews..

My oldest had close to ZERO interest in brewing growing up. She has helped on occasion if I've asked her to.

The young one, now 13, knows the basics and often helps crush grain, etc. She has gotten less interested as she's gotten older, but I bet she could probably fudge her way through the process with minimal help. If she had a recipe she could mash, sparge, boil and chill I'm sure. Using beersmith or Bru'nwater might be above her at this point.

That is interesting, seems like I should just let it be and they will do what they do whether I like it or not;)

Good to see some others that are doing the same

My 7 yo son is my brew assistant when I brew at home. He loves the smell, but hates the taste (PRE-FERM ONLY).

He's home-schooled, so I always use it to sneak in some type of science lesson as well.

That is interesting, seems like I should just let it be and they will do what they do whether I like it or not;)

Good to see some others that are doing the same

I was raised in a house where everything "dirty" or "bad" was always hidden from me. Made me more interested to seek it out & experience it on my own...usually with horrible results. While I don't encourage drinking, swearing, or nudity to my child, I don't try to overly stigmatize it which would possibly increase his curiosity and lure him into a dangerous situation. I prefer to be the one he gets explanations from.

My 9 year old helped me some with one a couple of brews ago. Not sure if I will get that to happen again anytime soon.

My 2 and 4 year olds like to try and help much to my distress!

My oldest not only helps but brews his own beer too. :ban:
He is 26 so he also helps drink my beer.

My 10 and 6 year old are too busy playing to bother being outside watching a pot with me at the moment...but first day my friends are not over to help brew, the 10 year old is becoming my assistant. I already told her I figured out her science fair project for the year...finding the best way to grow yeast starters (yes, I know this has already been done, but hey, I figure it will teach her something and I have all the equipment already :)

I tried to talk the Girl Scout leader into letting them grow hops for their plant badge..I got told no. (sigh). I wonder if when my son's a little older if the Boy Scouts will let me...? :D

I tried to talk the Girl Scout leader into letting them grow hops for their plant badge..I got told no. (sigh). I wonder if when my son's a little older if the Boy Scouts will let me...? :D

That's just ignorance. Hops are a fascinating plant! The kids would have a fun time measuring the growth in inches a day. The hops can be used for decoration or for making hop tea and hop pillows. (Although technically this is an abominable use for them) so the lesson doesn't have to focus on their use in beer.

Oh well, they are probably better off growing things that they can eat later. Maybe try to get them to grow some coriander and make a witbier from it! And some salsa from the cilantro plant.

In America its frowned upon by the majority, In Germany it is normal, People from other countries have a different outlook on beer,

My 17 yo daughter could care less and helped only one time grind grain and that was when I was still using the hand crank to grind the grain. My 15 yo daughter has helped from grinding grain to adding hops to the boil. I have tried to convince her to observe the whole process and learn how to do it, but she isn't that interested.

Oh well...

In my experience it is probably due to the exposure. When I was growing up and approaching 21 my parents went with the whole "if you are going to drink, we would prefer you do it with us" mentality and as a result when I went to college, I really did not feel the need to go crazy and get drunk every night (though that was fun too). I met many people who were over protected and failed out and ended up in the drunk tank with the little bit of freedom.

I think what you did was de-mysticise drinking for your children and as a result they didnt devote so much time and effort to acquiring a taste for beer where the desserty wines and probably sweeter mixed drinks are easily to start liking.

I think C&H said it best with this comic
tumblr_mjzpewvHQU1qcny7io1_500.png

That's just ignorance. Hops are a fascinating plant! The kids would have a fun time measuring the growth in inches a day. The hops can be used for decoration or for making hop tea and hop pillows. (Although technically this is an abominable use for them) so the lesson doesn't have to focus on their use in beer.

Oh well, they are probably better off growing things that they can eat later. Maybe try to get them to grow some coriander and make a witbier from it! And some salsa from the cilantro plant.

It doesn't involve "barefoot and pregnant"
Yes I have issue with the Girl Scouts and their "Suzy homemaker" approach.

My daughter has helped me a little bit and asks for a small taste now and again but doesn't like the taste so much as the experiment in flavors. She is 15 and I wouldn't even call her taste a sample in quantity.

My 4 yr old helps stir the mash and will toss the hops in when instructed. I also usually have her give me a hand opening the fridge or a door when I'm moving the carboy. I keep her away when I'm doing yeast related things, like oxygenating or pitching. This is for the simple fact that she likes to stick her head into things and I don't want to risk contamination.

I also always catch her opening my fermentation chamber to take a whiff during fermentation. She loves the smell of WLP001 fermenting a hoppy beer.

My 17 son could brew and doesn't dislike the taste of beer so he takes interest in what went in to a batch and the taste it produces, he has said that a possible employment interest is brew master. Since he was about 13 we have taken an approach much like my parents we don't let him "drink" but if he asked what it tastes like we would let him have a small sip. When I turned 16 and getting my license most of my friends were sneaking around and my dad brings home a six pack and puts it in the fridge and says there that is yours you drink outside this house you won't drive until your 18 bday when you WILL move out. I didn't feel the need to sneak around when I could go home and have one.

My 17 son could brew and doesn't dislike the taste of beer so he takes interest in what went in to a batch and the taste it produces, he has said that a possible employment interest is brew master. Since he was about 13 we have taken an approach much like my parents we don't let him "drink" but if he asked what it tastes like we would let him have a small sip. When I turned 16 and getting my license most of my friends were sneaking around and my dad brings home a six pack and puts it in the fridge and says there that is yours you drink outside this house you won't drive until your 18 bday when you WILL move out. I didn't feel the need to sneak around when I could go home and have one.

Cool Dad you have, funny at 18 you can kill or be killed for your country, yet you must wait 3 more years to legally drink a beer.

Latest posts

Back