how many of you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvodka

Reaction score
have actually brewed a disgusting beer? what style was it, why did it turn out so bad? did anyone else try it and pretend to like it?

...so you want us to admit that?...what have you been drinking? :drunk:

I feel certain we all have, but we'd rather forget about it before we told anyone. :D

Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about!! Never happened here. :D

I'm still waiting for my first good brew. I'm not overly impressed by what I've produced so far, but I know my errors. My failure is a direct result of impatience and shortcuts.

I should send everyone a bottle of the Wounded Thumb. Blech blech blech. It's about as thick as LME and taste like alcoholic vomit.

After a week, I had zero bubbles in it. I took two sips and dumped it. I don't know that conditioning will help it. I think the only think that will help it is dumping it down the toilet.

I made a Scotch Ale that I thought came out bad after conditioning for two weeks. I was the only one to drink it until it sat for another three weeks. Then I had my dad taste it. He thought it came out really good. So it turned out it really wasn't bad after it conditioned for a while longer.

Once (about five years ago or a little longer) I made a ten gallon all grain batch with a friend of mine. We split it into two glass carboys. His turned out fine! It was a light balanced ale (nothing special). Mine was lucky enough to have been blessed by some sort of bacteria. Whatever strain it was might ahve been tasty in a belgian brown ale, since it wasn't completely putrid, but it was a bit much for a light lawn-mower friendly beer. It wasn't to the point of undrinkability, and I showed it to some friends just for the sake of novelty, but damn, I hope it never happens again.

I think I might have brewed my first non-potable batch last night. I got lockjaw when I tasted the wort. I'll taste it again at the end of the week when I rack to the secondary, and I hope it has settled down a bit, but I'm not particulary optimistic about this one.

-walker

I've screwed up 3 batches.
1. An Irish Red extract batch picked up an infection from a keg that I didn't change the o-rings in before using it.
2. My first all-grain batch had a sweet taste to it, so I think the fermentation stuck. I dumped it because I was too lazy to save it.
3. Recent batch has a NASTY band-aid taste. Used expired yeast from my HBS. That is strike 3 for that HBS. I'm shopping online for EVERYTHING now.
I'm not positive it was the expired yeast, but I'm betting it is. Its all I can think of. I was starting to get worried about my sanitation but my last 2 stout batches have come out fine.

Never had an infection (knocks on wood), but that porter (still in my sig) that I brewed in March is some pretty heinous stuff. It's fundementally sound, but I added about 2lbs of leftover wheat extract to it. It's got a strange flavor, and a bunch of kick to it. It has aged pretty nicely, but I wish I'd balanced the recipe out some, or just never used the extra extract to it in the first place!

Do you have a dog? My dog will lap up any kind of beer, and he won't stop until he's finished it or gone paws up on the deck. Dogs are smart animals. So next time you get a bad batch, check for paw prints on the carboy - poochy may have slipped a doggy chew in there, thinking he may get some free beer. :drunk:

Doggy Chew Ale, love it. My first batch was a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout Clone, and I have been pleased with the results. Some bottles are better then others, havn't figured out why yet. One thing I have noticed about it though, is if I drink more then 2 or 3 at a time, I get some crazy nasty gas. Which is good sometimes when were playing poker, I can clear the room and swipe a look at the deck. Anyone up for some hold em?

Several years back I made an Old english ale that was just aweful. I boxed the whole batch up and let it sit for 3 months and condition in the bottle. Voila! less aweful, although still not that good..One of these day's I'll try that recipe again to see if my skill have progressed

When I started brewing about ten plus years ago I remember having a porter (my first all grain if I remember) that turned out awful. Followed by a spruce beer and bock. I will be the first to admit at making alot of crap in the begining. After making pure crap for awhile I got to making ok brews. They weren't great but I was on the right path. It was not until I met someone at the local brew club that wanted to learn how to brew and had the knowledge and resources to fabricate any kind of equipment needed that I started turning out really good brews.

drvodka said:
have actually brewed a disgusting beer? what style was it, why did it turn out so bad? did anyone else try it and pretend to like it?

Waiting on my first LME batch which could be bad....or maybe not? If it's bad, it'll be named "Nat's Piddle", if it's not so bad, it'll be called "Nearly Nat's Piddle". Anyhoo, my lesson is to get wise with my American / English / European Units (Holy smokes I hope I don't set brewgenie off again!) ;)

Three batches come to mind. Batch #4, which I created with a can of Hopped LME, bunch of DME, a bunch of left over hop pellets and some random dry yeast packets. I bottled the mess a few weeks later. The beer wasn't that horrid, it just geysered out when you opened the bottle.

Batch #24, Pilsner, Metallic-Band-aid taste. I theorized that it was from a corroded Wort chiller and excessive use of bleach as a cleanser.

Batch #36, Spiced Strong English Ale, Nothing wrong with the Mash, Sparge, Boil or chilling. The wort was wonderful, the yeast was not up to the challenge. It never did get going and eventually a bacteria took over and turned the whole batch sour. Nasty vinegar tasting stuff. YUK. I'll be brewing batch #36 again next weekend. (even though I'm almost ready to bottle batch #37 and #38.)

Back