How many of you have.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
drank the gnarly beer you decanted off a starter? I did!:drunk:

I guess I'm either an idiot or i need an AA appointment. Mmmmm Yeasty!

This HB thing can really get a hold of you I guess.:mug:

Regards,
Al

GIusedtoBe said:
drank the gnarly beer you decanted off a starter? I did!:drunk:

I guess I'm either an idiot or i need an AA appointment. Mmmmm Yeasty!This HB thing can really get a hold of you I guess.:mug:

Regards,
Al

Me too,indirectly,:) i pitch my whole starter..

I have tasted it. Tasted like yeast slurry and cheap vodka. Definitely a STRONG taste of alcohol.

ditto with what dibby said....

I drank some liquid off of my yeast harvest once...... It tasted like the beer it came from but with a, well, yeasty flavor.

I've tried it as well. Tasted like a shot of crappy liquor. I always pitch the entire contents of my starters.

Someone (not a homebrewer) bet me one time that i wouldn't drink the trub out of my primary (pre-straining hops days too), so not one to back down from a challenge I gave it a good swirl and poured a pint. I got about two gulps down and bout lost it. Really really didn't taste good, it was an IPA with nothing but pellet hops in it. I think it was my fourth or fith batch bout 7 years ago. Lost my taste for cascade for a little while over that one.

Cheers

well you need to know why you decant it in the first place, so if you haven't then give it a taste.

I poured myself a glassful last weekend. Tasted like watered down Miller Lite.. if you can possibly imagine that!

homebrewer_99 said:
You should always give it a taste to make sure it's not a bad batch...I do. :D ;)

I agree with this. Usually you can tell by smell as well. If its a new yeast I usually taste to get an idea what I'm in for. I used to dump the whole starter, lately I have been decanting. I never drink the whole thing.

Back