How many Kegs...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMonster

Reaction score
I'm still extract brewing but slowly piecing together the parts for an AG setup. I figured I would really try to make sure I get the best stuff I can from the git go to save the hassle later.

So anyways, do you brew with two converted kegs and a cooler or 3 kegs? And if it's a matter of preference, what do you prefer and why?

Thanks much!

The coolers hold heat really well for no nonsense, no intervention single temp mashes. The keg based MLT is direct heatable for less water moving and it can handle step mashes and mash outs without any infusions. The downside is heat loss. I've only used a cooler so far but just built a keg based MLT to expand my experience.

Bobby_M said:
The coolers hold heat really well for no nonsense, no intervention single temp mashes. The keg based MLT is direct heatable for less water moving and it can handle step mashes and mash outs without any infusions. The downside is heat loss. I've only used a cooler so far but just built a keg based MLT to expand my experience.

I just acquired 2 kegs and watched your videos on the conversion. Scored a Dewalt Angle Grinder for $50 and am itching to get going.

Thanks. I think it seems like the cooler makes the most sense to me. I just see all these setups with three kegs and didn't know what the deal was.

It is just personal preference. I have only ever used a cooler-based MLT, and have stuck with it because I need my rig to be portable and/or can be hauled indoors in the winter. One is not necessarily better than the other in general -- it is just whatever works for you.

The other nice thing about cooler MLTs is that they are cheap and easy to build yourself, so it makes it really easy to get into all grain brewing.

Back