How Many Kegs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoXP

Reaction score
How many can I expect to be able to purge, carbonate, and serve from a 5, 10 and/or 20lb tank? I'm still waiting to buy this last piece for my keezer.

I've heard they saying, "buy what you can afford", but I'm just looking for some practical numbers so I know what to expect.

Thanks all

Professor Frink said:
I think that chart is just for dispensing though, I don't think it takes into account force carbing.

You're right. I was in too much of a hurry to type "Here's a link for some reference. It doesn't include carbing and purging but it gives you some idea"... :p

Well, it DOES say dispensing in the article!! ;)
But this gives me a good idea. Knowing I'll get something less due to purging and carbonation.

it's not useful to try and quantify how many kegs you can go through on a given co2 tank. everyone prepares there kegs a little differently. like thejadeddog said, even a 5# will last quite a long time. a better way to look at it is how much space do you have for a tank. where will you put it, inside the kegerator or outside? what are you options for refilling it? have you found a local business that refills tanks or do you have something like airgas that just does exchanges. if you can't find someone to refill it and can only do exchanges then don't bother buying a brand new shiny tank, you'll just be trading it in for a beat up dirty one. unless you can get that new tank at a substantial discount to what the exchanger charges for a bottle it's not worth it. 20# of co2 serving a handful of kegs will last a very long time.

Also, just because your equipment is new, don't expect it to be leak-free. I burned through a 5 lb tank after carbing 6 kegs and dispensing about 4 gallons!! I removed my tubing and tank from the keggerator and started shoving parts into a bucket of water. Holy Hell, Batman, EVERYTHING leaks. Oticher clamps, taps, regulator, everything. One tap had a tiny chunk of missing plastic on the internal valve, everything else was just loose. Test your equipment before you find yourself on empty with two days to go before a big party (thank god it was two days!).

SenorWanderer said:
it's not useful to try and quantify how many kegs you can go through on a given co2 tank. everyone prepares there kegs a little differently. like thejadeddog said, even a 5# will last quite a long time. a better way to look at it is how much space do you have for a tank. where will you put it, inside the kegerator or outside? what are you options for refilling it? have you found a local business that refills tanks or do you have something like airgas that just does exchanges. if you can't find someone to refill it and can only do exchanges then don't bother buying a brand new shiny tank, you'll just be trading it in for a beat up dirty one. unless you can get that new tank at a substantial discount to what the exchanger charges for a bottle it's not worth it. 20# of co2 serving a handful of kegs will last a very long time.

All excellent points. I have both refill and exchange options locally. For now I only have a 2-draft tower in the works. (not quite done building it yet). I intend to keep the tank external to the freezer and will be running the primary air line through the collar I plan to build into a bank of secondary regulators. Having never done this before, I really just wanted to make sure that, if I got a 5-gallon tank, I wouldn't be refilling it every other or overy third keg. If I can get 10 or so that's not too bad and I'm really leaning towards at least a 10lb or possible 20lb tank. I've contacted a brew guy on craigslist today who has a filled 20G he looking to get rid of for $60. I'm hoping to land that one!!!

Back