How many kegs on tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
A quick question for the brewers with keg systems. How many kegs do you have on tap at any one time? I was thinking about jumping in and getting a two keg system. I think for an additional forty bucks I can get three kegs going. I think it may be well worth it.

What do you think?

Thanks

I just started kegging three months ago. I now have three beers on tap and am about to add a fourth. I now have seven corny kegs, but my keezer is a four tapper, so that's my limit.

As several of us would tell you, having room for many kegs isn't the hard part - keeping those kegs filled is the challenge...

I have a sanyo 4912 with 2 taps in my diningroom which works out very nicely and a 15 cubic foot chest freezer with a temperature controler and 3 taps, at the shop. I also use the chest freezer to lager, at capacity it fits 8 kegs and the 20# CO2 tank. I find that I don't need more than 2 taps.

The chest freezer at the shop usually has only 1 or 2 of the 3 taps hooked up as I like to let my beers fully condition before tapping them. I am also not the only person at the shop and some of the people there will "Sample" any beer that is hooked up even if it is not ready to drink.

Right now I have 8 working kegs and a couple broken kegs that I am no sure can be fixed, but can't bear to throw them out.

2 taps here as well. I'm contemplating converting a chest freezer and adding another 4-6, however.

Three taps, although I could expand that to five without too much trouble. Bunch of kegs with party taps in the conditioning cabinet as well.

I've got two taps on the kegerator and I feel limited by it, honestly.

It's not that I don't have "enough" beer because honestly I feel I can make it at a rate faster than I can drink it. Where my problem comes in is that I hate drinking the same thing all the time. Sure, I can empty a keg in a week, but I'd rather not drink a beer I feel the need to choke down.

Having two on tap is ESPECIALLY bad when you brew for someone else. I did a Blue Moon clone for SWMBO and she's not fond of it, but it's too close for me to like more than a few pints a week.

I'd LOVE to have a freezer to keep kegs in, but it's not in the budget anytime soon.

I had one keg tapped for a few months, grew to two.

Both are picnic taps in an upright fridge. I am ready for more, not sure where to stop. I like having several different beers available. So whatever I feel like tonight/ next , yeah I got that.

:smiley: In general if I make a brew over 1.060 OG I plan to bottle it and age it. Under 1.060 I would just as soon have it tapped; because bottling is for n00bs. No offense n00bs. :smiley:

3 faucets all the time, usually a yellow, Brown, and a special at all times. Then I will have one or two kegs in the fridge cold conditioning.

Right now I have two kegs but plan on having 5 kegs on tap at one time so I don't have to brew all the time. Three normal beers comma one Nitro'ed beer comma and one Beer Engine.

Poindexter said:
In general if I make a brew over 1.060 OG I plan to bottle it and age it

I've very seriously been considering just that. :)

I'm not a fan of IPA's, but now and then I want an IPA and I'd love to have my own on hand. Even more so with Barleywines. The opposite is true, I'd LOVE to have a Scotch ale on hand when I get the urge.

I'm not regretting moving to kegging by ANY means, but there IS a level of flexibility you have from bottling.

Thanks to BierMuncher I can have the best of both worlds.

4 taps here...But one is for Rootbeer/Soda for the kids....I just have to watch him and his buddies when they come out of the laundry room with a glass of rootbeer to make sure its rootbeer, and not Dead Guy :) They are 16.... And 4 kegs + 1 5lb co2 stuffs it....I also have a shelf on the bottom for bottles, probably 20-30...

Eventually 8, but it's a work in progress. I am going slow and doing this "on the cheap"...

dsc_2493.jpg

At this time, I have 3 cornies in my possession with 8 more on their way. I do not have cold storage sorted out yet, but that's the next project on my list.

6 on tap for me and I havent had a hard time keeping them full, I like to brew alot!:cross:

DSC00653.JPG

kdsarch said:
A quick question for the brewers with keg systems. How many kegs do you have on tap at any one time? I was thinking about jumping in and getting a two keg system. I think for an additional forty bucks I can get three kegs going. I think it may be well worth it.

What do you think?

Thanks

I plan on getting into kegging after we move and I plan on doing a 3 tap keezer. I figure a 7 cubic chest freezer will do the trick. What do you guys think?

njnear76 said:
I plan on getting into kegging after we move and I plan on doing a 3 tap keezer. I figure a 7 cubic chest freezer will do the trick. What do you guys think?
Sounds good. I have 3 taps on my chest freezer, and I made sure to buy an expandable CO2 distribution gang valve so I can add more. But the thing is, even with friends coming over from time to time, and my daily consumption habit :)p), 3 is about the most kegs I'd want on tap, for sanitation/maintenance reasons. I like to clean the faucets periodically (at least weekly) and clean out all the lines after each batch. With 4 or 5 kegs on tap, I could be going many many weeks between swapping out kegs, and I would have to be cleaning out all the lines mid-batch in most cases. That just doesn't appeal to me. I think 2 or 3 is the perfect number. :mug:

SixFoFalcon said:
But the thing is, even with friends coming over from time to time, and my daily consumption habit :)p), 3 is about the most kegs I'd want on tap, for sanitation/maintenance reasons. I like to clean the faucets periodically (at least weekly) and clean out all the lines after each batch. With 4 or 5 kegs on tap, I could be going many many weeks between swapping out kegs, and I would have to be cleaning out all the lines mid-batch in most cases. That just doesn't appeal to me. I think 2 or 3 is the perfect number. :mug:
Interesting points. My consumption is rather low. I only have one beer every day. Maybe even a 3 tap system would be too much maintenance.

njnear76 said:
Interesting points. My consumption is rather low. I only have one beer every day. Maybe even a 3 tap system would be too much maintenance.
Of course, you could just build it for 3 taps, and leave 1 or 2 of them vacant except when you roll out an extra barrel or two for a party. My plan all along was pretty much to have 2 good homebrews on tap, and for big parties, get a 1/2 keg of something commercial for the people that want yellow fizzy stuff. No sense in having them go thirsty, or having them drink something that someone else would appreciate more.

It just so happens that due to me brewing a big beer, then a middle-weight beer, then a relatively small beer, all 3 were ready to drink at practically the same time, so they are all on tap right now. And with all that beer, I'm not sure any one keg will get kicked soon.

Kevin Dean said:
I've very seriously been considering just that. :)

I'm not a fan of IPA's, but now and then I want an IPA and I'd love to have my own on hand. Even more so with Barleywines. The opposite is true, I'd LOVE to have a Scotch ale on hand when I get the urge.

I'm not regretting moving to kegging by ANY means, but there IS a level of flexibility you have from bottling.

Thanks to BierMuncher I can have the best of both worlds.

Now that I'll be joining the ranks of the keggers (SUPER THANKS TO THE TWO PHILS), it only makes sense to me to keep things like Tripels, Belgian Strong, IPA, Imperial Stout in bottles and things like Hefe,NutBrown,Oatmeal Stout, Pils, House Ale..etc on tap. Plus I really wouldn't know what to do with a keg of Tripel. It would take me a long time to get through it :D.

I am going to start with two I think will be good for my needs.

I've got two taps at the moment but just got the fixtures to add two more. That plus a picnic tap in the fridge is my current setup.

I can fit five cornies and my 20-gallon tank at the moment but I just came into a truck-load of cornies and may be switching from ball- to pin-locks so I might be able to rearrange things and fit more in the fridge although that is yet to be determined.

Out of curiosity, what's the most cornies you can run off a single tank?

Back