How many here watch CABLE??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do you get your visual media fix?(multiple choice)

• I have cable. What's the big deal?

• I have cable but am actively looking into ditching it.

• I got rid of cable but watch TV via HULU, Roku, etc.

• No cable but watch NETFLIX or similar on a TV

• Got rid of actual TV but watch TV shows on computer.

• I watch virtually NO TV shows.

• I watch virtually no movies from home.

• I watch netflix or other streaming on my smartphone.

• I SOLELY watch movies or TV on my smartphone

• I own NO cds, dvds, or other physical media and stream all.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The first line is, IMO, the only good part of Netflix (outside of a very good anime/cartoons cataloge). If you are one that is willing to turn on a old movie you've never seen the the Netflix catalogue is good for that. I am consistently surprised by some older films that I passed up when they weren't "dated". One example is "Girl with Dragon tattoo". I had no interest in this film when it was "new". Watched it a while ago and found it to be pretty interesting.

As for the second line, ayup. Not gonna see many box office hits until it's already made it's way through BetaMax sales. ;)

They been pushing the OG Girl w/ whatever series pretty heavily lately.

I've seen several big movies from the past few years though. Some of the HUGE hits though are missing, which sucks.

have cable, will trade for cabin in the mountains.

otherwise i have to buy 500 channels so i can get the one g'dam soccer channel they offer.
the world spins backwards...

I attempted to go without cable for a few months, but between the lack of sporting events and the fact that I can only pick up ABC and Fox reliably over the air (and even those went in and out whenever a helicopter flew over my house), I'm stuck with cable.

I attempted to go without cable for a few months, but between the lack of sporting events and the fact that I can only pick up ABC and Fox reliably over the air (and even those went in and out whenever a helicopter flew over my house), I'm stuck with cable.

*pardon me a moment*

DID I MENTION THAT GOD DAMNED ESPN3 REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE A CABLE SUBSCRIPTION????????????

Talk about spinning backwards.

Dude.....F()CK ESPN.

*thanks, sorry if I got a little carried away*

ESPN isn't in the business of giving away their product. It makes sense that they require you to have a cable package that includes ESPN to have access to ESPN3...

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there is no reason ESPN3 can't be offered al a cart. Of course, it is the cable provider, not ESPN, that is the problem.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there is no reason ESPN3 can't be offered al a cart. Of course, it is the cable provider, not ESPN, that is the problem.

ESPN3 is a website.

don't they have advertisements???? maybe not. If that is the case they are still assbackwards.

You might be right though. Maybe they offered it for "free" and cable providers howled.

So we are back to "Screw cable".

Dumped cable years ago. Had over 100 channels to choose from & STILL couldn't find anything worth watching. I'll admit there are times I miss it, but those times are few & far between. I also watch a few things via computer, but again those are few & far between. I spend more time in the garden or on the trail than in front of the TV.
Regards, GF.

A pretty savvy buddy told me that the NEW wii streams basically like a ROKU.

I know that the old wii would handle PLAYON with a PC. Anyone know the difference. Can't seem to find much.

Dumped cable a year ago. Now I stream Netflix to the tv or watch movies. Much less expensive and no commercials.

My fiancée works for the cable company so we get every channel for free :)

I worked for Group W cable back in the '80s. Been there for 2 years before I found out that they had cable in Fullerton. Funny part was I was talking to a woman at a company party and found out she was the manager for that city. Still didn't bother getting (cable) hooked up.

No cable, Antenna for local, roku box for web content, and whatever I can't stream via Roku to the tv set, I watch on laptop.

This is exactly what wife and i do, but we have netflix and i have our laptop hooked up to the tv.

dumping cable was the best thing we ever did.

We have cable, thought about getting rid of it and doing the Hulu/Netflix thing, but we would have a hard time getting live sports,and all our AMC shows. Plus we are about to have 3 kids, and as much as I hate to say it, every now and then I need the kid channels to be on for awhile, not stream one show then need user input again.

I have heard commercials where the cable/satellite companies say they can't sell channels ala cart, which is BS since they already do that with movie channels. However when the day comes that I can pick and choose only the channels I want, that will be great to get the 20 I want instead of the 480 I don't.

bleme said:
FYI, Netflix now automatically plays the next show in a series by default.

(At least on the 360) it gives you a prompt for the next episode.

Ah... On the PC it has been going to the next episode (about 30 seconds before the current episode is over) automatically for about a month now. As often as they change things at Netflix, who knows what it will be like tomorrow?

On the wii, if you exit an episode in the last few minutes, it loads up the next episode and with 1 click the next episode is up and playing within 5 or 6 seconds of exiting the last one.

Back