How many generations have you taken WLP090?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
I'm on 2 and looking forward to counting.

Conventional wisdom is that yeast peaks about gen 4-5. But this is San Diego Super. And I used to live in SD, so I think it might be cooler than ordinary yeast.

You?

It depends, are you harvesting from an overbuilt starter or from the yeast cake that underwent an entire fermentation?

I have several yeast strains im getting close to 15 generations on, but I harvest from my starters

I am harvesting from yeast cakes and am on 5 still going strong.

I have a 004 and 001 that I am on gen 12 and 11 with and they are still great performing awesome.

I used it once- and I dislike the beer's character. I split a batch in half, using WLP090 in one fermenter and WLP001 in the other. The WLP001 batch is great, and I'm saving that yeast for several future beers. The WLP090 is sort of weird, and my friend is a Grand Master II BJCP judge, and she picked up on it right away. It's not bad, it's just not as "clean" and "San Diego-y" as I thought it would be.

Anyway, so my answer is probably "1". :D I did save the yeast, but I can't imagine using it again.

I used it once- and I dislike the beer's character. I split a batch in half, using WLP090 in one fermenter and WLP001 in the other. The WLP001 batch is great, and I'm saving that yeast for several future beers. The WLP090 is sort of weird, and my friend is a Grand Master II BJCP judge, and she picked up on it right away. It's not bad, it's just not as "clean" and "San Diego-y" as I thought it would be.

Anyway, so my answer is probably "1". :D I did save the yeast, but I can't imagine using it again.

Really? its the complete opposite for me. WLP090 is super clean for me where WLP001 is not at all. There's certain taste in the Chico yeast that i strongly dislike.

OP max ive gone was prob 3 generations.

I really prefer 090 over 001, but I've only used 1st generation just because I don't get to brew often enough to bother re-using it.

I think it works fine in something like a DIPA or other beer where you don't really want any yeast character. I think it would be good for a porter as well, something where your malts do the talking.

For APA and other more complex styles, I will try something more characterful.

But I just did my xmas beer as a 4th generation and it was fine. In that beer I mashed pretty high (71 C) and still had 78% attenuation.

I have now harvested a 6th generation of WLP090. (Where the vial was Generation 0.) It is still performing well.

I do not bother with starters. When I want to clean up my colony, I pitch slurry into a carboy with wort that has the right level of servomyces added. Then when the active yeast are churning (usually the next day), I sterile-siphon the wort off the trub and dead yeast into a bucket and let it ferment out as normal.

I am then left with a great, clean yeast cake of fairly viable yeast. (In the bucket. I discard the junk from the carboy!)

Last edited:
I have generation 7 churning away happily now.
I did a double-drop with generation 6, which was from 29 January and in the back of the fridge.
Will let you know if it attenuates properly.

I have used this yeast about a half dozen times and it is a workhorse, though it has a weird quiet fermentation for me. It drops wort to tje 1.010 range for me consistently.

Yeah, it is normally a very quiet fermentor. The White Labs people said it tends to act more like a bottom-fermenting yeast when they first launched it.
But this time, I had krausen out of the airlock on a 2/3 full 6.5gal carboy!

I think 090 is a great yeast. It always works very fast for me and leaves a very neutral tasting beer. (I'm into about the 5th gen)
I'm surprised Yooper is not a fan, I can only imagine she must have had a bad experience with the brew she made with it.

Back