How many gallons of mead, 2021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made six gallons Jan 1, 2021, ( plus 1 quart ). Might as well start off the new year right. ;) :ghostly::rock:

Left to right
1 gallon Sweet meadowfoam BOMM,
1 gallon Juniper berry & Spruce tip BOMM,
1 gallon Orange Blossom & Tupelo traditional BOMM,
3 gallons Christmas Spice BOMM
1 quart of traditional using a local wildflower (10 ounces) & Tupelo ( 2 ounces)
Sweet Meadowfoam BOMM.jpegJuniper & spruce tip BOMM on left, OB & Tupelo traditional BOMM on right.jpeg3 gallons Christmas spice BOMM.jpegtraditional.jpeg
All made using @loveofrose's recipes for a guideline.
The meadowfoam & Christmas spice BOMMs are by the recipe, Per Bray's website.
The OB/Tupelo BOMM is missing the tannins, but, I'm sure it will be fine. I have oak cubes & spheres for after fermentation.
The only thing altered in the juniper berry mead was the addition of 10 inches of spruce tips. (5- 2 inch pieces)

So, 6 gallons...The quart is just to see how the 2 flavors would come out.

Started 2, 1-gallon batches of very basic with some local honey. One D47, one 71B.

= 9 gallons

Started 5 gal wildflower honey mead on Monday
=14gal
You can watch my progress since it’s my first batch on the thread standard mead making questions

Started 2 1G batches and 4 quart size batches...I think quart is closest to a litre.
16Gallon + 4 quarts

Edit: 4 quarts = Gallon.. -.- Imperial measurements make no sense to me.
So Total= 17G

Have two 1G batches in secondary and just started two more 1G batches today, all traditionals. Interested to see in how they all come out, as I've not used these honey varietals before (fireweed, scotch broom, and snowberry)

Have two 1G batches in secondary and just started two more 1G batches today, all traditionals. Interested to see in how they all come out, as I've not used these honey varietals before (fireweed, scotch broom, and snowberry)
Interested in the fireweed & snowberry. I have 6 pounds of snowberry honey that I was going to do a traditional with 1/2 of it & maybe something else with the other half.

So with yours 17+4=21

1 gallon pyment, using local to me wildflower honey & organic Concord Grape juice from R.W. KNUDSEN

1 gallon of an experiment with Morning Blend juice from R.W. KNUDSEN & Orange Blossom honey

1 gallon of @loveofrose's Acacia Rose BOMM, by the recipe

1 gallon of @loveofrose's Christmas spice BOMM, by the recipe

3 gallons of @loveofrose's BOMM, by the recipe

All that aren't BOMM recipes were done with BOMM protocols, including the 1388 yeast.

21 + 7= 28 gallons

Ultra? Unfamiliar with that 🤔
Bomm-ish?😄 Sounds like something I'd say
Lutra, it's a kveik yeast. It's not the original bomm yeast and I did not use any fermaid k, only o, so it's not really a true bomm, but otherwise followed the same approach. All nutrients in with the yeast, no staggered additions, only 10% abv expected, one teaspoon of slurry, 2 hours later, first bubbles appeared in the air lock, another three hours and it really took off. After day two it slowed down again, my guess is it is almost done by now.

Lutra, it's a kveik yeast. It's not the original bomm yeast and I did not use any fermaid k, only o, so it's not really a true bomm, but otherwise followed the same approach. All nutrients in with the yeast, no staggered additions, only 10% abv expected, one teaspoon of slurry, 2 hours later, first bubbles appeared in the air lock, another three hours and it really took off. After day two it slowed down again, my guess is it is almost done by now.
Thank you for explaining. I have no experience with that yeast. Still considered a newbie, I guess. Started making mead in July of 2020, currently I have 26 gallons under my belt, but, have only used 3 types of yeast...fleischmanns bread yeast, 71B & BOMM 1388 smack packs. I have 1116 & D47, but, haven't used them yet.

Thank you for explaining. I have no experience with that yeast. Still considered a newbie, I guess. Started making mead in July of 2020, currently I have 26 gallons under my belt, but, have only used 3 types of yeast...fleischmanns bread yeast, 71B & BOMM 1388 smack packs. I have 1116 & D47, but, haven't used them yet.
I think that not many people have experience with lutra in a mead as it is fairly new and it is also quite untypical to use a kveik yeast for a mead. But it is super clean and produces a light tartness in my beers. That should actually fit well in a mead with a little residual sweetness. Kveik just needs more nutrients than other yeasts, so I used the highest demand in the tosna 3 calculator and off it goes!

Last edited:
Thank you. I will look for it @ my LHBS next time I am in there. That might be a while though. I have a bunch of yeasts that need to be used up before I buy any more.....@ least 20 more gallons worth😂😋😋

50 gallons plus:
3 gallon spiced Blood Orange Melomel
3 gallon Peach Mango Melomel
1 gallon tropical Melomel
1 gallon Maraschino Melomel

50 + 8 = 58 gallons

Add 40 litres, don't know if you're counting US or UK gallons, so it's either 77.5 or 75.8 gallons :)

I think the translation was for the new total volume, and I believe standard US gallons are used for the calculation.

67+10.5=77.5, if that's what karamonde was trying to convert.

Already made three 5-gallon batches in 2021. Now I have to wait until I get more empty bottles...I ran out

Racking over my final mead of the season (an OB traditional) to secondary later this morning. Excluding the 4 gallons of fireweed and snowberry I posted earlier, that comes out to 8 gallons of mead and 6 gallons of wine for this spring. Going to pick back up again when the weather gets cooler in September to do another 10-15 gallons. Busy year!

Racking over my final mead of the season (an OB traditional) to secondary later this morning. Excluding the 4 gallons of fireweed and snowberry I posted earlier, that comes out to 8 gallons of mead and 6 gallons of wine for this spring. Going to pick back up again when the weather gets cooler in September to do another 10-15 gallons. Busy year!
Just to be clear, you're adding 8 gallons to the total number of gallons for the post? Just trying to keep the count straight.

The count was @ 100.5 gallons before your post.
Counting @Maylar 's, it is now @ 102 gallons.
If you're adding 8 gallons, that will bring the total to 110 gallons.

Back