how many gallons in a "barrel"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
i'm trying to scale down this recipe provided by Stone Brewery, but i don't know how big their "barrel" is. here's the original context:

BLACK IPA
This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.

now i have a question about hops. if i'm dry hopping with 3.9oz of hops, how much hops should i add for flavor at flameout... the recipe doesn't really specify, does it?

unless i'm wrong, the 120 IBU's will come from the chinook, which i will add at 60 minutes. the flameout hops will add the citrus flavor. i remember the original beer had a big toasty malt body hit your taste buds first, followed by a distinct grapefruit taste.

i would try 1 oz amarillo & 1 oz simcoe @ 15 minutes, and the same at flameout (more or less depending on how much flavor/aroma you're trying to capture. at 120 IBU's, you can support alot of both). Heres why: Commercial breweries whirlpool HOT. Typically you can expect a 20-45 minute HOT whirlpool before the wort goes to the heat exchangers and into the fermenters. This makes it hard to scale to homebrew as we typically begin chilling as soon as the boil ends.

If you make a 15 minute addition and a flameout addition you will be capturing both flavor and aroma that Stone is getting in their 200F+ whirlpool.

If you plan on a no-chill or an ice-bath method, add them all at flameout. If you're using an immersion chiller or a CFC, I'd try the above schedule. Does that make sense? I'm a couple pints in :ban: :mug:

thank you. that makes perfect sense.

i use an immersion chiller, and sometimes an ice bath too, so i cool to 70 degrees in 20 or 30 minutes. i will add 1oz of each at 15 minutes and flameout, as you suggested.

i'm glad you commented on the yeast. i would have used american ale yeast or california ale yeast because the are supposed to have the lowest ester production, and i hate that banana and clove taste.

i'm glad you commented on the yeast. i would have used american ale yeast or california ale yeast because the are supposed to have the lowest ester production, and i hate that banana and clove taste.

007 is one of my favorites. I like it at 65-66F, very clean, attenuative, and it falls like a ton of bricks after fermentation. 007 + cold crash/gelatin looks like filtered beer.

So that's 4 oz per 5 gallons on the dry hop recommendation. Do they mean 2 of each or 4 of each? 8 oz dry seems like an awful lot to me. Even 4 seems like too much, but you never know...

i plan on doing 2oz of amarillo and 2oz of simcoe for dry hopping. the original beer was dark and malty, and had an undeniable citrusy hop flavor. i'm not really worried about "too much" hops, i think the malt and hops will balance out.

Back