How many fresh hops per gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I have some hop plants and wanted to make some beer with the hops this year.
How many fresh hops would I need per gallon?
Haven't had time to weigh yet so are we talking a handful or much more/less than that?

IIRC its ~5x usage for wet hops vs dried leaf.

I'd say a gallon isn't too far off from a pound, based on previous wet hop beers I've done. A pound of wet hops interspersed among late additions will do well for a 5 gallon batch of wet hop IPA. I wouldn't use them for bittering or for dry hopping. I'd use pellets for those.

Be sure to pick and then use IMMEDIATELY. Take a day off work if you have to. I wouldn't wait more than 24 hrs after harvesting.

And I misunderstood the question...

Edit: I know what I did, mixed this up with another thread about buying wet hops by the gallon and asking how much that was...

Last edited:
I wouldn't use them for bittering or for dry hopping. I'd use pellets for those.
I would surely use them for late boil / flameout additions, whirlpooling, and dry hopping.

If used for bittering you won't know your IBUs, so it's a toss up, but some educated wort tasting during the boil can steer you in the right direction. For some experimental beers that can be just fine.

I would surely use them for late boil / flameout additions, whirlpooling, and dry hopping.

If used for bittering you won't know your IBUs, so it's a toss up, but some educated wort tasting during the boil can steer you in the right direction. For some experimental beers that can be just fine.
While not a personal experience, I've known a few folks to get infections dry hopping with wet hops. My only theory is the increased water content overtakes the antiseptic properties.

While not a personal experience, I've known a few folks to get infections dry hopping with wet hops. My only theory is the increased water content overtakes the antiseptic properties.
Excellent point, as always.
I never thought about that... until now.

Latest posts

Back