How many Fermenters do you have.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
Just curious how many fermenters you all have. I have 9 Plastic buckets ( thanks to a 10$ sale) ands 5 glass carboys ( thanks to a 14$ sale)

7. 3 6 gallon plastic carboys. 1 5 gallon plastic carboy, 1 plastic big mouth bubbler, & 2 buckets.

Just one. I ferment in my boil kettle. I got rid of the carboy and use my old fermenting buckets for yard work.

1 6.5 gallon primary bucket and 1 5 gallon glass carboy and 1 5 gallon Better Bottle. It's nice to have the option to have 2 beers sitting in the secondary at the same time, but I don't think I'd ever really need more. How often can you really brew?

I've got 1 7.9 gallon Midwest shorty pail (this one has lid seal!), one Cooper's Micro Brew FV & a 6 gallon better bottle for the occasional secondary. I can also use it for a fermenter if needs be.

3 7 gallon buckets, 1 6.5 gallon bucket and 1 plastic better bottle for wine for a total of 5. Need a few more though. Kyle

2 buckets, 3 better bottle 5 gallon carboys, 1 glass 5 gallon carboy, and 3 1 gallon jugs for mead and other experiments.
Looking to replace my plastic with glass (one of my buckets got scratched and I didn't catch it until it ruined two batches. Never again). After that I'll slowly expand.
Total count: 9 fermenters of varying size/materials.
Edit: Forgot my lonely 3 gallon
Total count: 10 fermenters. Double digits and it's still not enough :ban:

2 buckets, 3 better bottle 5 gallon carboys, 1 glass 5 gallon carboy, and 3 1 gallon jugs for mead and other experiments.
Looking to replace my plastic with glass (one of my buckets got scratched and I didn't catch it until it ruined two batches. Never again). After that I'll slowly expand.
Total count: 9 fermenters of varying size/materials.

Hey, like I told ya, it ain't easy bein' cheesy!...I still like my 6G BB for the occasional secondary. They clean up really easy! :mug:

1 brewcraft 8gallon bucket, 3 5gallon frosting buckets, 4 3gallon frosting buckets, 1 6.5gallon glass carboy, and 7 1gallon glass carboys

1x SS Brew Bucket

4x 6.5 gallon glass
2x 5 gallon glass
2x 3 gallon glass
3x 1 gallon glass

1x 6.5 gallon better bottle
1x 5 gallon better bottle

1x 30l plastic (wines and meads)
1x 7 gallon plastic (wines and meads)

4 SS Brewbuckets that I use the most
4 plastic bottling buckets that are used if a SS Bucket not available.
2 5 gallon corny kegs that I use as fermenters if I do 3 gallon batches

3 glass carboys that I rarely use at all anymore
3 Better bottles that I use for sours if I make them

1 Cooper's DIY Fermenter - my beer fermenter
1 30 litre clear plastic fermenter - primary for wine
2 Bucket (ale pail) fermenters (never used)
1 23 litre Better Bottle - secondary for wine
1 23 litre glass carboy - infrequently used making wine
1 23 litre opaque plastic carboy (never used)
2 1 gallon glass jugs - apfelwein or small batches of beer

I purchased the DIY fermenter, Better Bottle, 30l clear fermenter and 2 1 gallon glass jugs myself. The other fermenters were gifted to me by my Aunt who used to make wine and beer but gave up on it (apparently her brothers in laws are all near alcoholics and used to swarm the place back when she was brewing).

One 6.5g glass carboy
Two 5g glass carboys.

I really like the idea of a stainless or conical fermenter (mainly because I like gadgets), but I like watching the beer more. Maybe when I get more brews under my belt I'll switch (#8 this past weekend).

6 -Brewcraft 8 gallon buckets
2 - 10 Gallon fermenters
1- 20 gallon brute
2-32 Gallon Brutes

I have two ale pails, 1 bottling bucket, 1 3gal carboy, 2 repurposed frosting buckets 4.5 gall, 4 repurposed chlorine buckets from a local city pool place. So 10 total as needed.

Usually the frosting buckets are used in sparging, but the chlorine buckets are great, super tight lid that twists on instead of those finger crushing press lids.

Three 15 gallon Demi-johns
Four 6.5 gallon glass carboys
Four 6 gallon glass carboys
Two 5 gallon glass carboys

Lucky 13 :drunk:

Y'all are making me feel inadequate with all of head multiple sized primary vessels...

I had a 6.5 gal True Brew bucket and a 6 gallon glass carboy. Alas, I retired the carboy last night after bottling a batch of Irish Red ale. Found a crack near the base that wasn't leaking yet, but safety comes first. Now I'm in the market for another bucket or two

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have no idea!

I've been a winemaker for a long time, and I have many carboys (both glass and better bottles) in 5 and 6 gallon sizes for that- maybe 25-35(?) of those. I have lots of 'ale pails' in sizes 6.5 gallons up to 8 gallons- maybe 10(?) of those. I have lots of 3 gallon carboys, both better bottles and glass. I have some big primary bin-type of fermenters for big batches of wine.

So, 50-60(?) maybe. Give or take a dozen or so.

Y'all are making me feel inadequate with all of head multiple sized primary vessels...

I had a 6.5 gal True Brew bucket and a 6 gallon glass carboy. Alas, I retired the carboy last night after bottling a batch of Irish Red ale. Found a crack near the base that wasn't leaking yet, but safety comes first. Now I'm in the market for another bucket or two

Catdaddy66,

Just in case you were only feeling a 'LITTLE' inadequate...

I have no idea!

I've been a winemaker for a long time, and I have many carboys (both glass and better bottles) in 5 and 6 gallon sizes for that- maybe 25-35(?) of those. I have lots of 'ale pails' in sizes 6.5 gallons up to 8 gallons- maybe 10(?) of those. I have lots of 3 gallon carboys, both better bottles and glass. I have some big primary bin-type of fermenters for big batches of wine.

So, 50-60(?) maybe. Give or take a dozen or so.

Now ALL of us feel that way, too.

Heck, if we're counting carboys as well, I have to change things a little...lol:

16 -6 gallon carboys
8 - 5 gallon carboys
3 -3 gallon carboys
6 -Brewcraft 8 gallon buckets
2 - 10 Gallon fermenters
1- 20 gallon brute
2-32 Gallon Brutes

I'd gladly trade 3 -5 gallon carboys for 2 more 6 gallon carboys!

4 total. A 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon in glass. And then the same but in plastic.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

4 buckets plus two 5gal carboys....haven't been using those last two much lately; the convenience of the spigots on the buckets is a big plus.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

2 - 5 gallon bucket
2 - 4 gallon bucket
2 - 2 gallon bucket
1 - 5 gallon carboy
1 - 3 gallon carboy
5 - 1 gallon carboy

All together adds up to 13, thanks for helping me take inventory, lol

Three 15 gallon Demi-johns
Four 6.5 gallon glass carboys
Four 6 gallon glass carboys
Two 5 gallon glass carboys

Lucky 13 :drunk:

That's a lot of brew... how often do you use those demi-johns? More importantly, how often do you have more than 1 demi-john full?

6 ale pails
4 6G Better Bottles
2 5G Better Bottles
2 3G Better Bottles
2 6.5G Big Mouth Bubblers in plastic
A mess of 1G glass carboys
2 15.5G SS fermenters

And 3 6G glass carboys that have not managed to break yet.

I have two ale pails, 1 bottling bucket, 1 3gal carboy, 2 repurposed frosting buckets 4.5 gall, 4 repurposed chlorine buckets from a local city pool place. So 10 total as needed.

Usually the frosting buckets are used in sparging, but the chlorine buckets are great, super tight lid that twists on instead of those finger crushing press lids.

Forgot my jugs. 3 1G, 1 .5G. So that puts me at 14. Have to say I love those new chlorine buckets.

17- I gallon glass carboys
8- 2 Gallon Glass carboys
8- 3 Gallon Glass Carboys
4- 5 Gallon Glass carboys
6-6 gallon glass carboys
2- 15.9 Speidel Plastic Tanks

Future is to add 2 more 15.9 speidels, a 20 gallon can for mead, and if I can find one at a decent price a 50 gallon bourbon barrel. Will prob thin out the 5 gallon carboys as well as I find them inconvenient to use.

3- 6 Gallon Better Bottles
3- 5 Gallon Glass Carboys
1- Plastic Bucket

That's a lot of brew... how often do you use those demi-johns? More importantly, how often do you have more than 1 demi-john full?

Hitthewall,
I currently have all three demi johns full, and I dont often use the smaller carboys. I ferment pretty much all my beer in one stage, not often going to carboys for a secondary, unless its a lager or a rather strong ale. I select my yeast strains to be quite flocculent so I have clear beer in three weeks time, negating secondary fermenters altogether.

Back