How many days should the gravity be before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before calling it a FG reading? Minimum of 2 readings 2-3 days apart... A taste test is usually in order to determine if it's ready to come off the yeast... At least when using ale yeasts..

Depends on how long you primary. I do 4 weeks and take a sample as I transfer to my bottling bucket (also so I can taste it).

Okay. I did a gravity reading yesterday and today - they are exactly the same. Also, it tastes really good and has been 3 weeks in primary...should i wait till tomorrow to confirm that it has reached FG or bottle tonight?

I primary for a minimum of 3 weeks, for lower OG ales... Higher OG ales get a minimum of 4 weeks... I pull a sample after that amount of time for a SG reading as well as to taste it... If it doesn't taste right, I don't care what the SG is... If it tastes right, as long as the SG is in line with what it should have been, it gets bottled.

I did have a brew that sat on the yeast for just over 3 weeks... SG was lower than the estimate, but it tasted great. Bottled it up... One of my better brews so far (brewed it again last week)... I had another one that the FG was higher than I would have wanted, but that's because we mashed high. After 6 weeks on the yeast, it got bottled.

So, as long as you give the brew enough time to taste right, and the yeast more than enough time to ferment all that it can, the SG really isn't so important.

Things you learn after a few batches, and once you learn to trust your yeast to do the right thing... It's rather liberating actually. :D

Okay. I did a gravity reading yesterday and today - they are exactly the same. Also, it tastes really good and has been 3 weeks in primary...should i wait till tomorrow to confirm that it has reached FG or bottle tonight?

Give it another 3-4 days before you check it again... Nothing wrong with going 4 weeks on the yeast cake... Also, one day after the other isn't enough time... After 3 weeks on the yeast, it should be finished... Giving it more time won't do any harm...

Remember, RDWHAHB...

It depends- what IS the FG? If it's at the expected Fg, and it's not chagning over a couple of days, and it's been three weeks in the primary, you can bottle tonight!

haha thanks I have two brews one at 1.004 and one at 1.013 which have been stable since monday. I just don't want bottle bombs :p Will I be ok if I bottle them tonight? Like I said, they taste great...

The 1.013 is .001 below the FG and the 1.004 I don't know because it was a NB kit. The innkeeper actually.

I would give them at least a few more days... Sounds like you're chomping at the bit to bottle... Relax, sit back, breathe deep and relax some more...

IF you're really all hot and bothered to bottle, plan to do the older brew around Thursday, and the other Friday... I wouldn't try to bottle both in one evening. If this is your first time bottling, you're better off taking it slower. Read up on what you'll want to do a few times. Get all your hardware lined up, sanitize things properly, make (and cool) your priming solution, then get ready to bottle the first batch... Once you're done with that one, and have everything cleaned up, and see how long it takes, do the next one a day or so later. I did my first two brews on the same day... Never again... Now I make sure to do just one on any day. I also try to space them at least a week apart.

Even after several batches, I'm still working on my bottling day routine... If I'm not interrupted, I can do a batch in about 1 hour (+/- 15-20 minutes)... That includes cleanup, sanitizing the bottles, etc... Not including making and cooling the priming solution though. I usually do that an hour or so earlier. Once that's cooled to a point where I'm happy, then I get everything else ready. The last thing I do before I start bottling is put the priming solution in the bottling bucket, and rack the brew onto it... Then it's bottle and cover... Using Grolsch bottles makes it easier. Belgians are a little longer per bottle, but probably just as long as capping regular 12oz bottles (total time)...

IMO it's better to take your time at this final stage in the process (or almost final stage, before drinking it at least) so that you don't F it up...

Estimated/expected FG is pretty much meaningless. I've been on both sides of the expected/estimated FG numbers already. I can brew the same recipe as someone else, with my hardware, and get a different actual FG than that person. Even if I don't change a single temperature. If I mash at a different temp, then the FG will be even more different.

I'm at the point where I'm creating more of my own recipes than brewing kits or from other recipes published. Even if I see one that I like, I tend to change things in it... A good chunk of the fun is to make the brew more your own... At least to me it is... I know there are plenty of people that follow a recipe to the T, not deviating one bit... I'm just not one of them. Never have been with my cooking either. It's really a matter of what you're comfortable with...

Back