How many competitions did it take you to win your first medal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer your question though, I started brewing in 2014, I entered 8 beers into the Ky State Fair that year and placed 3 beers. Got 1-2nd place and 2-3rd place so I was pretty pumped about placing for my first try. Ever since then I enter in around 15-18 beers/meads into the State Fair every year and normally pick up a few ribbons each year. I always shoot for the 30+ Scores and try to learn from the judges comments. Most comments are controlling fermentation temp or not pitching enough yeast. Anyhow hope that helps.

Agreed. Short of winning a medal, the goal in the back of my head has been at least in the 30's for a score. I feel like at that, it tells me that we're not making sh*t beer, you know? I entered a brown ale for my first comp and it did fairly well, got a 42 and a 39, but still no medal for that one. I love that beer and I was bummed that it didnt' place. But same thing, comments were about controlling fermentation, even though I do that.

Speaking of "gold," where are all these competitions that are handing out medals, rather than ribbons, for flight awards. Maybe it's just the particular competitions that I have entered in the past, but it was almost always ribbons for flight winners and medals in BOS rounds.

Or does "gold" just sound better than "blue?"

One of the ones I just registered for is the Delafield Brewhaus Schnapp Hans cup. They give out medals, see below. This are usually what I'm seeing when I enter. The ribbons are the minority from what I've found...

1628775051879.png

I'm a bit behind in this thread, but that 27.5 score isn't as bad as it sounds, as others have said. One of my favorite beers I brew is an oatmeal stout, and I think it got exactly that score when I entered it - judges said the yeast esters were too prominent (personally I think they work great for the style (wyeast 1469), so I'm not changing a thing; it's just not a competition recipe). So basically 1 flaw drops you out of the 30's.
Thanks for that! That's kind of what I'm gathering. 27.5 isn't as defeating as I made it out to be hahaha. While that hefe was great, perhaps you're right. It's just not a competition beer. But it sure looks nice!!

1628775156345.jpeg

Speaking of "gold," where are all these competitions that are handing out medals, rather than ribbons, for flight awards. Maybe it's just the particular competitions that I have entered in the past, but it was almost always ribbons for flight winners and medals in BOS rounds.

I have mostly gotten medals. A few ribbons. A few plaques.

BeerMedals.jpg

@Rob2010SS - i wouldn't worry about it. thats close to 30. Something might not have been true to style, or who knows what might have happened when the beer left the keg. bottling issue, sanitization with the bottle, oxidation, no carb...etc. Need the dang comments though!

It’s easy for a beer to get marked down and score poorly if it doesn’t tick the style guidelines for the category it’s entered. Having said that a 30 point beer can be an outstanding beer to drink. But brewing for comps and brewing for yourself or mates can be very different things.

It’s easy for a beer to get marked down and score poorly if it doesn’t tick the style guidelines for the category it’s entered. Having said that a 30 point beer can be an outstanding beer to drink. But brewing for comps and brewing for yourself or mates can be very different things.
Yeah for sure! I agree. Looking back, that is what I lost sight of on this one. Got great drinking reviews but I think I didn't evaluate well enough for style.

Agreed. Short of winning a medal, the goal in the back of my head has been at least in the 30's for a score. I feel like at that, it tells me that we're not making sh*t beer, you know? I entered a brown ale for my first comp and it did fairly well, got a 42 and a 39, but still no medal for that one. I love that beer and I was bummed that it didnt' place. But same thing, comments were about controlling fermentation, even though I do that.

My best score ever was a 45 on a chocolate milk stout and it didn’t place. I was pretty upset about it and called my friend who is a judge, he just told me in some categories of beer there are lots of subcategories so even though my beer scored great it may not have been the best tasting beer out of all the subcategories.
still pissed me off though. 😠

My best score ever was a 45 on a chocolate milk stout and it didn’t place. I was pretty upset about it and called my friend who is a judge, he just told me in some categories of beer there are lots of subcategories so even though my beer scored great it may not have been the best tasting beer out of all the subcategories.

It sounds like your judge friend is saying that a lower scoring beer from a different sub-category, but in the same flight, was selected to place over yours because the judges liked its taste better. But that's not how it works. It can and often does work that way in a mini-BOS or BOS (where there is no further scoring), but not in a flight.

If a 45 didn't place in its flight, it's because the beers that did place in that flight scored higher than a 45.

If, OTOH, your judge friend was really just saying "Your beer didn't place because other beers scored higher," I'd have to ask if he looks like Captain Obvious. But this would have nothing (necessarily) to do with sub-categories.

- they can still decide a beer not medal worthy even if only three go to the mini-bos, but a 45. damn. must have all been world class beers

Last edited:
It sounds like your judge friend is saying that a lower scoring beer from a different sub-category, but in the same flight, was selected to place over yours because the judges liked its taste better. But that's not how it works. It can and often does work that way in a mini-BOS or BOS (where there is no further scoring), but not in a flight.

If a 45 didn't place in its flight, it's because the beers that did place in that flight scored higher than a 45.

If, OTOH, your judge friend was really just saying "Your beer didn't place because other beers scored higher," I'd have to ask if he looks like Captain Obvious. But this would have nothing (necessarily) to do with sub-categories.

I hear you, I think my score card got misplaced or something somewhere got F’d up. I find it hard to believe a score of 45 wouldn’t have placed or at least get Honorable Mention.

I hear you, I think my score card got misplaced or something somewhere got F’d up. I find it hard to believe a score of 45 wouldn’t have placed or at least get Honorable Mention.

I've seen a 45 not place. But it was because other beers scored higher.

We get BJCP medals for about $25, this way winners can say they have won them.

I guess the 2015 BJCP Guidelines will be sunset this Fall.

Note that this is the style list that is used for the Great American Beer Festival. It has a LOT more categories than what are in the typical BJCP style guidelines for competitions. Basically, if a brewer is making it they create a category to represent that beer. List here: Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines

When was the 2015 guidelines actually made official? Something like 2018 or so, right?

Note that this is the style list that is used for the Great American Beer Festival. It has a LOT more categories than what are in the typical BJCP style guidelines for competitions. Basically, if a brewer is making it they create a category to represent that beer. List here: Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines

When was the 2015 guidelines actually made official? Something like 2018 or so, right?
I am not sure when the 2015 BJCP Guidelines were made official, they were a significant revision to the 2008 BJCP Guidelines. According to the article I read, the 2021 Brewers Association Guidelines will be 'official' this Fall.

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/brewers/beer-styles/

Last edited:
According to the article I read, the 2021 Brewers Association Guidelines will be 'official' this Fall.

Official for whom? Are you saying they are replacing the BJCP guidelines with the BA guidelines? That would be odd.

Official for whom? Are you saying they are replacing the BJCP guidelines with the BA guidelines? That would be odd.
No, not what I meant. I was surprised to learn the two are separate guidelines. I always thought the Beer Judge Certification Program and styles were the same as the Brewers Association Guidelines.

No, not what I meant. I was surprised to learn the two are separate guidelines. I always thought the Beer Judge Certification Program and styles were the same as the Brewers Association Guidelines.

Two different organizations. In my view, BA used to steal BJCP but improve upon it. Then BJCP bloated too far. Then BA one-upped BJCP and bloated even worse.

Ugh.

[chanting to myself] BJCP 2008 forever!!! [/chant]

Two different organizations. In my view, BA used to steal BJCP but improve upon it. Then BJCP bloated too far. Then BA one-upped BJCP and bloated even worse.

Ugh.

[chanting to myself] BJCP 2008 forever!!! [/chant]
Nothing like a bit more confusion to keep brewers wondering how their beer was judged😩

While it’s fun to win medals in beer competitions, a lot of it depends on many variables besides how good your beer is. You can brew a great beer but if your beer is tasted first your score maybe lower just due to the fact the judges have nothing to compare it to. Also I look at it if your beer is tasted after a really $hitty beer, your score maybe better than it should. Also all judges taste buds are different so one judge may like Citra hops and another May like Mosiac Hops better. Then there is the problem that there’s a lot of competitions where the judges are not certified but just filling in to help out. The best ribbon you can truly get is compliments from your friends.
So it sounds like your beers don't place well. It is true there is some luck involved, how do the judges feel, what beer did they just taste. As far as the BJCP certification goes it is not a guarantee that a particular judge is knowledgeable about every style and subcategory. Also, inexperienced judges are always (or should be) paired up with an experienced/BJCP judge. There cannot be a Delta between the judges scores greater than 7. The experienced judge will not let an inappropriate score from the inexperienced judge pass. The reason for two or more judges is to get a different perspective and an average in the scoring. I have been judging for 20 years and am not BJCP. I have judged with Grand Masters and my scores and opinions were well respected. It did make me a bit nervous but luckily they were the categories I know we'll.

Now for the original post, "1". I won a first place in my first competition. Specialty Ale category. Scottish export bittered and flavored with rosemary and licorice, Frog Spit Special Ale. It has won several metals but I haven't brewed in years. I still get requests now and then.

Back