How many BTUs should I start with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandx40

Reaction score
I just found a guy selling a brand new turkey fryer kit for $30. It is a Bayou Classic and the burner is 55,000 BTU. It seems like a great deal and will allow me to do 5 gallon batches (I am new to all-grain but only 3 gal batches with my electric stove).

Question is this: Is 55,000 BTU strong enough for brewing? I've seen people saying to get 185K or higher. Just curious if I should bother with this deal or save pennies for a better burner.

Here is an example of the modle:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200186224_200186224[/URL]

I used 55K BTUs... it is plenty to brew 5 gallon batches, AND it is fuel efficient.

You can even do 10 gallon batches with it with no issues, just most of us like our toys and more power is welll, more power....

And as you may want more power under your brew kettle in the future, you can always use this one on your HLT.

You found a good deal.

Thanks for the input folks! I just picked it up last night. Its a damn good deal as its never been opened. I'm stoked to know I can bump up the volume to 10 gal w/out much trouble. Gonna have to decide which recipe to brew up...

i've been shopping around for a burner as well. i'm not sure about your model, but other bayou classic models can be upgraded to a 20 PSI regulator for 185,000 BTUs. They're around $25-

Back