How many brews from Propane Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone kept track of how many all grain brews they get from a tank of propane. I realize it will vary depending on your setup and but I simply use a 190K BTU turkey setup. Just wondering for cost analysis for my future setup. Trying to decide if I should stick with propane, plumb into my houses natural gas or use electric. Thanks!

I've gotten a few but need some serious adjusting on my burner. Scroll to the bottom of this page for threads with more/better answers.

I bet I could easily get three. So far I've got two and then it feels really low and i fill it up to make damn sure i dont run out mid-boil. Last time I got two 120 minute boils (counting the 30 minutes or so to boil water for mash and sparge and then 90 minute boils) and had about 1/3rd left of the tank.

I would plumb into the house if i could. I know my burner really seems to use ALOT of propane.

I get 2-3 on 90 min boils. I just refilled my tank before my most recent brew and decided to keep track of the weight. Canister says tare weight is 17 lb, I started with 34 lb, and after the brew had 29 lb. So that's consistent with my results.

I have 5 full boils with about 2 lbs left. These are my first 5 full boils, so I don't have a lot of experience. They were good rolling boils, though.

If you have natural gas why would you even consider propane?

But I get around 5 out of a 20lb tank I do let my water sit either inside the house in winter or the garage in summer. Easier to heat up 70-85+° water than cold tap water my tap never gets above 60 even in summer. Water lines are 5 feet down and the average temp is 55° here at that depth.

I've been seriously considering piping into my natural gas as well. Just need to decide for sure where I want the connector, and spend the $$. But I think I will be converting to this for sure, much cheaper than propane.

**EDIT... To answer your question full end to end brew day (decoction mashing, boil, ect...) I get about 3 uses out of a tank. Maybe a little less if it's really cold outside as I brew in my garage.

Don't use the propane exchange. I traded 2 tanks in at walmart just so I could upgrade the tanks to the newer fittings and get some nicer looking tanks. Didn't realize that I was paying $18 for only 15lb of gas and tanks with spray paint over rust! I can have mine filled 20lbs at the COOP for $17.

Sheesh! I get 10-12 60min, 6gal boils on a 15lb tank.

Strike and sparge liquor is heated on the stove.

Back