How many blades in your razor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many blades in your razor?

• 1 = straight razor

• 2 = old style - one on each side

• 2 = parallel like a Bic disposable

• 5 Schick?

Results are only viewable after voting.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My stubble is itching a bit tonight and it got me to thinking.

Showing my age I started shaving with one of those razors that opened and you dropped in a blade that had two edges, one on each side. I then went to disposables with one blade then two blades. "The first starts cutting and pulls the whisker up and the second cuts it below the skin line" at least if you believe the commercials.

Then 3 blades!
Then 4 blades!!
Then 5 blades!?!?

Yup. Wetshaving is the ticket for me. Even have a travel kit I use at the gym three times a week.

Gillette fusion, 5 blades. I'm not really a fan of shaving but the fusion does the job and the blades last for a few weeks. I am interested in trying straight or DE razors some day.

Straight on the weekends when I'm home and Double Edge on the weekdays. Came down with a bad case of RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) for a while, have 68 Straights and somewhere well north of 200 DE's.
Favorite blade to use in the DE's is a Feather.

I use the Fusion razor, so 5+1. I also shave my head so the blades don't last as long s they would other people. With shaving every few days (3-5) I can get the refill to last a couple/few weeks. If I wasn't shaving my head too, I might give a straight razor a try.

I use the Fusion razor, so 5+1. I also shave my head so the blades don't last as long s they would other people. With shaving every few days (3-5) I can get the refill to last a couple/few weeks. If I wasn't shaving my head too, I might give a straight razor a try.

I was using that Fusion before the straight. It's a fine disposable.

I've stopped using a razor. I have a rechargeable trimmer that I use every few days. I don't work a job where I need to be perfectly clean cut though.

If I were going to get a razor I would get this one though.
110131multiblades.jpg

I've stopped using a razor. I have a rechargeable trimmer that I use every few days. I don't work a job where I need to be perfectly clean cut though.

If I were going to get a razor I would get this one though.
110131multiblades.jpg

Only issue I have with that dream razor, besides how much the refills will run, is the size of it. The Fusion is narrow enough to glide over my dome without cutting into me. I suspect I'd have gouges from the 22 blade razor.

Zuljin said:
I was using that Fusion before the straight. It's a fine disposable.

Thing is, it's not really 'disposable' in that you only change out the razor blades (head) of it. The handle remains and gets used for ages. Unlike your typical 'disposable' razor that you use a few times (at best, IMO) and then you toss the entire thing.

When I started to shave the only choice was a safety razor and either a can of foam or a cup and brush. I went through every new invention, including a few electrics. The breakthrough was a combination of the cartridge shaver and the Gillette Gel. This marked the end of the razor burn, and using tissue to blot the blood.

I use the fusion. I have sensitive skin and really coarse hair so it's one of the few cartridge razors I've used that actually gets a smooth shave without having to pass over each hair four or five times. The single razor on the back is really useful for the edges of my facial hair. I tried using an electric razor but it never seemed to produce a very clean shave.

I am interested in safety razors as well but I need to do a little more reading before I pull the trigger.

I also use a Fusion razor, but converted to it reluctantly. I used to have an old twin blade with disposable heads that I had since both of my kids were born. Seriously, about 16-17 years old. I haven't been able to find factory refills for about 4 years now, all I could get we're the store brand refills. And not quite a year ago, I couldn't even find them anymore. So now I have the Fusion, and if I didn't also shave my dome, I would seriously consider a DE blade system. It's still in my consideration, but only as a luxury, not a necessity.

Been using a DE Merkur for about a year now and will never go back. I get a closer shave and my face doesn't get dried out like it used to.

I buy cheap disposables, 1-3 blades depending on the sale. I've never noticed any difference, but since I've had a beard for 40+ years, I'm just trimming the fringe anyway.

Three currently with the mach3 blades. I used the 'old tech' two blade machs for many years but then those blades weren't available anymore. I am very interested by the end of the year in going to a straight or DE razor.

One thing I hate about the 3 blade disposables, besides the cost, is if you slip and move it sideways a tad, now instead of having just one cut, you have three parallel cuts on your face, which looks really silly, like you were using a fillet knife or something.

Did anyone ever see the Saturday Night Live skit with I think it was a 25 blade razor. They had an animation of it, and it was funny, each of the 25 blades would cut a little bit of the hair off, and the last blade finally cut it down to skin level.

My father was showing me his father's shaving kit. It looked like it used a regular razor blade almost, and it had this thing with leather that you put the blade in and turned the handle and it would sharpen the blade on on side, then flip the blade to do the other side, and it would keep doing that as long as you turned the handle.

You guys have no idea I tougth there were some experienced brewers posting here: In order to brew you have to grow a beard razor are public enemy nº1 for homebrewers. Shave and something terrible will happen to your brew.
This been said I have to admit the I have to shave for my job (I use three blades) but I do collect the facial hair that I have shaved to make myself a fake/real beard to wear in my brew day probably the yeasties won´t note the difference

My father was showing me his father's shaving kit. It looked like it used a regular razor blade almost, and it had this thing with leather that you put the blade in and turned the handle and it would sharpen the blade on on side, then flip the blade to do the other side, and it would keep doing that as long as you turned the handle.

Single edge razor. Blades look just like a box/scraper blade but are not teh same. Most of the SE's were made by GEM. The sharpener sounds like an old Kriss Kross.

Both available on EBay, currently.

Back