How many batches before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
How many batches did you brew before you were no longer compelled to go look in on them every couple hours? ;)

I've got my own first batch in primary, and I fight off the urge most of the time, but at least once or twice a day I just can't help myself, and I run down to the basement to peek at my fermenter...

My brewing buddy, who's been doing this for a couple years now, says he still has the same temptation. So I fear I might have to fight off this urge for a long time yet! :D

Well I am new also but I think I will be fighting the same temptation a long time. WOW 2 or 3 times a day. You are better then me. hehehehe

Roger

I stopped looking after the sixth or seventh batch. Now I just put 'em in the basement and don't think about them for six weeks.

I've been brewing for a year and a half, and I still like to stare at the airlock. There's just something comforting about the bubbling. Once the bubbling slows down/stops I can ignore it pretty well.

Yesterday my room mate made his first batch - I guided him through the whole thing. It'll be interesting to see how he acts. He was already starting to get worried when the airlock wasn't bubbling yet even though the yeast had only been pitched 3 hours earlier.

I check mine all the time. watching the yeast float around is better than the random doctor and or cop show my girl would be watching on tv.

I check mine all the time. watching the yeast float around is better than the random doctor and or cop show my girl would be watching on tv.

I have to admit. I find a full fermentation to be more relaxing to watch than a fireplace.

I still check often when fermentation is in the fast and furious stage the first 5-6 days. After the main fermentation slows I'll usually just take a peak in the morning while brushing my teeth. I currently have 4 carboys in a full boil @65 deg with blowoff :)

I guess I am the lazy one here. From my 2nd batch I have been a set it and forget it guy. Once I know the fermentation is started, I totally ignor it for at least 6 weeks, often longer. I haven't secondaried my last few batches, so it has been even worse. I pitch and make sure the fermentation starts, and the next time I see the beer is bottling or kegging day.

I've only been brewing since June '10 (actually, I'm more of a born-again brewer. Hmm, that makes me think of Revvy. Maybe, we could morph home brewing into a religion of sorts. Baptism in a pool of brew, high priests, plenty of "holy water", the Pope of Pilsner... but, I digress.) I run down to check on my brew a few times per day until bubbling stops, then just once a day until I have to bottle. Unless I have to recharge the beer fridge, or help SWIMBO with a load of laundry, or "What was that noise I heard from the basement?" But I don't have a problem.

About to move to all-grain after 20-something batches of extract and partial mash, and I'm still fascinated by each and every fermentation. I loves me a bubbling airlock! I'm also addicted to giving the airlock a good sniff, too. I find that the sweet smell of yeast by-products (Montrachet rhino farts a notable exception) helps me to Relax and Not Worry. Probably has more to do with inhaling all that CO2... ;)

peeked in on this, this morning.
709382368_photobucket_13034_.jpg

I check mine a once or twice a day at the beginning to check temps and make sure they are where i want them. once i got my temps stable i will leave it sit for 2 weeks. after the two weeks i make sure its finished. then i leave it for another week and then keg.

I check mine a once or twice a day at the beginning to check temps and make sure they are where i want them. once i got my temps stable i will leave it sit for 2 weeks. after the two weeks i make sure its finished. then i leave it for another week and then keg.

Exactly this! I make sure ferm gets started, and check every few days to make sure temps are in line. Once apparent fermentation has stopped I forget about it a couple or three weeks. Then rouse the yeast a bit and jack up the temp a few degrees just to make sure we are done, then ready to bottle.

Last night I found myself sitting on the floor peering into the closet at my 2nd batch. I must have zoned out for a solid 10 minutes watching the airlock bubbling!

Back