How many atmospheres..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
I've been going with what John Palmer says for my first two batches (APA and ESB) but tonight I'm bottling a stout. I put some numbers into a calculator and it said to use 2.11oz (1.8 volumes of CO2) when I have been using 5.25oz (3.0 volumes of CO2) of cane sugar.

I would like to use the proper amount of CO2 for the beer style but my intuition says 2.11oz of sugar is going to make an awfuly flat beer. Thoughts?

Agreed, the style is better on low carbonation. The creamy head is sometimes from Beer Gas, although I have read that the creamer faucets work wonders for frothing a head. If that's the amount the calculator shows it's probably going to put you close to what is typical in a Stout. You can always push up the volumes to the high end of the 'normal' carbonation spectrum. Once again, the accuracy you get is highly dependent on how accurately you measure the amount of beer and a good deal dependent on ferment/and hold temperature which affects the dissolved CO2 already there before you prime.

This is one of the many benefits of homebrewing. For me personally, I like English Ales. Bitters, ESB's, Porter's, stouts etc. However, the "true" traditional styles of these beers will be very low carbed to the point that the American palette would generally call it flat. Call me crazy, but I like some fizz to my beer. So, I carb em up just like I would any other beer. They are not "true to style" but they are how I like them and that is why I make them that way.

Actually, now that I look at this that is at probably the lower end. You can (like I suggest) push the volumes up to 2.4, which should be around 4 oz at 68 °F. In fact, with my Oatmeal Stout I think it is just perfect (that's what I use about 2.4 is goal) as it still gives me a nice head and fairly good carbonation.

cubbies said:
This is one of the many benefits of homebrewing. For me personally, I like English Ales. Bitters, ESB's, Porter's, stouts etc. However, the "true" traditional styles of these beers will be very low carbed to the point that the American palette would generally call it flat. Call me crazy, but I like some fizz to my beer. So, I carb em up just like I would any other beer. They are not "true to style" but they are how I like them and that is why I make them that way.

And I have to agree. I love a well carbonated brew and to hell with style.
If I need a brew for a comp that is higher in carbonation than the style calls for, why I'll just let it go flat before I bottle it.

Latest posts

Back