How many apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the type and size of the fruit and of course how efficient your grinding and pressing is, but as a rough guide you can typically expect to get about 50% juice by weight from apples. So for a US Gallon (4 litres) you need round 20-25lbs (8-10 kg) of apples. About 80-100 normal size apples should give you a gallon of juice.

I usually overcater by about 10% and save the extra juice for secondary top up, either by refrigerating or freezing it.

It depends on the type and size of the fruit and of course how efficient your grinding and pressing is, but as a rough guide you can typically expect to get about 50% juice by weight from apples. So for a US Gallon (4 litres) you need round 20-25lbs (8-10 kg) of apples. About 80-100 normal size apples should give you a gallon of juice.

I usually overcater by about 10% and save the extra juice for secondary top up, either by refrigerating or freezing it.
Good info, thanks.

I just pressed 17 gallons of Gravenstien apples into about 3.6 gallons of juice. That works out to about 4.72:1.

I wish I had thought to weigh the apples before I pressed them. I just picked them and put them in 5 gallon buckets.

Back