How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit2000

Reaction score
Made a Graff of sorts last Saturday. Used WLP720 sweet mead/wine yeast. Transfered it to the secondary yesterday. Added one more fluid oz. of vanilla to taste and 1oz. of Hallertau.
So how long should I let it stay in the secondary. I'm thinking a few days, and then rack it into another secondary to get it off the hops.?????????????????????????????

I assume last Saturday was 9 days ago, not 2! My latest is still in Primry after 2 weeks and will be bottled straight from the primary in 2 weeks time (assuming it has stopped fermenting).

You can keep it on the hops for a couple of weeks.

Mike, what calder is saying is don't rush to bottle it. He's leaving his in primary for very good reasons. Fermenting is not the only thing the yeast does. If you give it enough time, it will clean up the byproducts of fermentation that leads to off flavors. Also it will allow more stuff to settle so you will have a clearer, crisper tasting drink. His more than likely "finished fermenting" (but that is only determined by hydro readings not airlocks or anything else) like yours, but he's not rushing to bottle it. You'll find more and more folks no longer rush their fermentations, they give the yeast plenty of time to do their thing. It makes for better tasting drinks. Take his advice and give it another 2 weeks, you won't be sorry.

Back