How long will sanitation last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
If i rack to secondary tonight i'm going to have to make sure i sanitize everything (just too bad my carboy brush didn't come in today like it was supposed to) and i'm planning on using my bottling bucket to just dump everything into (tubing, auto syphon, airlock, stopper for secondary). So my question is, if i use the bottling bucket to sanitize everything in and just put some foil or something over the top, should it still be sanitized in two weeks when i go to bottle or will i have to sanitize it all over again?

I just started brewing but I would think that doing it again insures everything is as it should be. I even sort of like the process as it makes me go through the steps in my head just one more time as I am getting ready.

I wouldn't risk it. A couple tbsp of sanitizer and a few gallons of hot water are not a burdensome expense. Getting through fermentation and into bottles, waiting three weeks, then refrigerating your nice brew, only to find your beer is contaminated is not really worth taking the chance.

depends on the sanitizer.

Star-san would probably still be fine, but you'd still wanna give a quick splash to be safe.

some sanitizers are only active a few days/ up to a week.

I would not risk it. Why lose sleep over something that you could do in 10 minutes? Couple of days, no problem....over that, better safe than sorry.

Back