HOw long will Rhizomes stay good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought 3 Rhizomes about a month ago and have had them in the refrigerator. Bad weather here in Colorado has prevented me from planting them. I am going on vacation next week and plan to plant them when I get back on May 3rd. Think that they will be ok until then?

The homebrew store here has had rhizomes in there fridge since mid march. So I'm assuming it's ok,

you could always start them indoors if you are worried about them...
I just picked up a rhizome from my lhbs that had been in the fridge for well over a month and it sprouted two shoots after about a week in the ground.

Actually, PLANT THEM NOW! get them in the ground before your trip so you have sprouts when you come back. I'm in CO also in the mountains were it gets COLD. I planted mine mid march and they had no problems with the freezes (I'm talking solid ground freeze) All I did was mulch my hop hills with hay. They even did great with this past storm. They seem to be very hardy plants. Good luck!

Last year I left mine in the bag they came in for at least 7 weeks (in my fridges meat shelf) before I was able to plant and they did fine. They just need to be moist - not wet.

I think you can often leave them quite long without a problem. However, if you have a couple spare pots in the basement, I would recommend potting them and putting them in a sunny window.

Latest posts

Back