How long will pellet hops last in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeramyD

Reaction score
I assume that hops, like any ingredient, will go "stale" or "bad" after a certain amount of time.

Now that I have time to brew again, I was taking a little inventory to find out what I had from my last round of experimentation. I have probably close to 2-3 pounds of pellet hops that were in ziplock bags in my fridge. If I had to guess as to how long they were there I would say about 1.3-.15 years. Are these hops trash now? About how long will refridgerated, ziplocked hops last before going stale... if that even happens.

Zip lock bags in the fridge I would say is a rather short term solution (a few months). In oxygen barrier bags, in the freezer, you might be able to use them over the period you describe....2-3 pounds is a lot of hops to chuck though.

Beta acids convert to Alpha acids as they oxidize so you could probably get decent bittering from them but I would not use them for flavor or aroma.

What hops?

If you post the type, the AA%, the age (months), and the temperature (38 would be a good number for fridge), a lot of people on here can tell you how much they have deteriorated. Many Beer programs have hop age calculators. I know BeerSmith does.

I suspect they will be useable. They may not be best for flavor or aroma (smell them and make a decision), but they will still be useful for bittering, but will have a lower AA% than you have listed on the packet.

Hops have a stability number which generally ranges from 20 to 40%. The number represents the percentage loss of AAs over 6 months if left open to the air at 70 F. So if a hop has a stability number of 30%, and started with 10% AAs, after 6 months left out in the air, it will have 7% AAs left. Storing in a container, and at colder temperatures reduces the amount of loss.

The best way to store them is vacuum packed in the freezer. they will last for years like that.

Great information Calder, thank you!
I'll have to open up the tupperware and check to see what hops we have left. We were using a lot of cascade and chinook I belive so it is likely that we have those in there. It has been a long time ( > 1 year) and I imagine their aromatic qualities have passed. It is good to hear that we may still be able to use them for bittering though. I plan on making some 1 gallon test batches to try some things out. Maybe I will make a batch of these and see what happens. :)

Plugging in the hops into the BeerSmith calculator, assuming a storage temp of 38 F for 18 months in a plastic bag (non-vacuum), I getthe following:

Cascade Original AAs = 5.5%, after 18 months AAs = 2.1

Chinook Original AAs = 13%, after 18 months AAs = 6.1

Both of these are some of the worst for storage. If you had some Citra, they would have fared better, going from 12% to 8% over the same time.

FYI:

If stored for 18 months in plastic bag in freezer, the AAs would be; Cascade = 3.8%, and Chinook = 9.8%

If stored for 18 months vacuum packed in freezer, the AAs would be; Cascade = 4.6%, and Chinook = 11.3%

Even if you can't vacuum pack the hops (and if you use them in a reasonable time, there is no need), you should always keep them in the freezer.

A foodsaver with the ball jar attachment is fairly inexpensive ( $100 or less) and a simple invaluable way to preserve bulk hops and save money. Worth buying just for buying whole primals of meat and separating into chops and steaks. The brewing side is just a bonus really. Truly a tool that pays for itself.

Back