How long will my yeast starter last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Well, this weekends brewing got all screwed up, I started my yeast on friday planning to use it on sunday but didn't. I want to use it this weekend but I'm not sure how to keep it viable. Will it last or should I plan to start another one this week? :confused:

edit: I used a 1/2 cup DME w/one pint of boiled water. Pitched @70 deg. Not really seeing much action.

Well, this weekends brewing got all screwed up, I started my yeast on friday planning to use it on sunday but didn't. I want to use it this weekend but I'm not sure how to keep it viable. Will it last or should I plan to start another one this week? :confused:

edit: I used a 1/2 cup DME w/one pint of boiled water. Pitched @70 deg. Not really seeing much action.

I would just toss it in the fridge for now. A day or two before you brew toss a liter of DME and water @~1.040 in there and you will have a perfectly good starter (amount depends on OG of course).

That is a tiny starter you made, the yeast probably were done with the sugars in there before you could see much action, especially if it was on a stir plate.

Back