How long will milled grains last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edco76

Reaction score
I bought some stuff for a batch of beer at my LHBS about a month ago. They put it all in a brown paper bag that has been in my closet.

Any idea how long they will last? Got caught up with Christmas and haven't had a chance to brew.

Awesome! So mine should be good. I ordered my hops today so should be going in a few days.

Yep, no trouble with a month or two. If they stayed dry and not in a humid environment there's no problem. Give them a smell before use. If they smell moldy it's probably best to get a new batch. Kyle

I had my first all grain in the fridge for 5 weeks and it was fine. The grains were milled at Morebeer Store

The grains I've been ordering, no matter the maltster or country of origin, have been packaged in Maillard malt sip lock bags. I keep them sealed in a dunnage container. They seem to be fine a month or more later, even when crushed, like Morebeer tends to do. But I have a grain mill & do biab, so they get a second crush. the first crush as it comes in doesn't look very even anyway, so I think the 2nd crush freshens them up.

I had a bag of Irish Stout grains sitting in my basement for close to two months and the batch came out excellent. It's been one of my best so far. Test it first by taking some of the grains and chewing on them. If they're semi sweet and crunchy they should be good to go. If it's like eating stale popcorn...well..you can bet it may not turn out so well.

Back