How long will it take for hops to settle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Dry hopping N. Brewer's Ace of Spades Black IPA. It was in the primary for two weeks and then I racked to secondary for two. AFter 2 weeks in the secondary I added the dry hop additions (2 more ounces). Now there is about an inch of green sludge floating on top of the beer in the secondary. When I dry hopped my other beer, NB'S SMASH PALE ALE, I racked the beer ON TOP of the hops I had in the secondary. With the Ace of Spades, the beer was already in the secondary and then I just dumped the hops in there. Will these hops/particles eventually settle out? I dry hopped Friday and now it's Tuesday and they don't seem to be in a hurry to settle. When I siphon to the bottling bucket I plan on putting a muslin bag over the racking cane to avoid hop sludge getting transferred.

If you can, put the carboy in your fridge or otherwise chill to to <40F for a day or two. Hops will drop right out and your beer will be very clear.

What if cold crashing is not an option due to lack of a fridge?

Wrap a paint strainer bag around your syphon and then syphon underneath the hops.

Back