How Long Will Hops Stay Fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
How long will hops stay fresh? And whats the best way to preserve them?

I was considering buying some bulk hops from Fresh Hops but I don't want ot waste them if they go bad in a hurry. I'm only brewing a couple of times a month as things stand.

Freeze them, Vacuum seal them if you can. And use an oxygen barrier material if you can (like the foil bag they come in).

FWIW, if you order a pound of whole hops from freshops, you'll get closer to 2 lbs. And it will be a big package...like 15" x 15" x 6". Make sure it will fit in your freezer.

Discussed here as well: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30540&highlight=storing+hops

Seal them in an airtight bag or vacum seal them and store them in the freezer. They will last over a year.

Think of it this way: Hops are harvested once a year and sold year-round. I buy in bulk right after the harvest (August for most hops), bag & freeze. The hop warehouses are cooled, but freezing is better.

Back