How long will hops last in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
I vaccumed sealed a bunch of hops a few months ago and put them in the fridge. How long can I expect them to last if they are vacuum sealed?

A while. I know that doesn't help but I have used hops that were pretty old 1yr+. If they are air free or packed super tight, then I usually freeze them and they last even longer. If there is any air in the little bags then I keep them in the fridge. You will notice some minor Alpha Acid degredation but in most cases it's minimal.

beerloaf

I keep my sealed hop pouches in a zip lock freezer bag in the top of the freezer. They keep a long time that way.

We vacuum seal my hops after each use and toss them in the freezer. It usually takes about 2 months to go through 2 pounds of hops, but they are always still fresh by the time they get used.

I keep my sealed hop pouches in a zip lock freezer bag in the top of the freezer. They keep a long time that way.

Right on man.

Fridge is ok, but Freezer is the road to go. With a freezer and tightly sealed you stand less chance to high loss of AA%

In the Fridge, you will experience a larger loss of AA over time.

don't get me wrong, it's better than keeping them on your counter for the year. Just don't trust the AA count after a year.

They might still be pretty good in the fridge after "a few months". But why leave anything to chance? I have 3oz of hops left in the freezer in the described method. They've been in there since sometime in November. They've been great quality over time. Hop Union is good. My wife'll be using 2oz of them in her 2nd brewing of her summer shandy clone maybe next weekend. I just ordered supplies for her summer shandy,& the 2nd brewing of my sunset gold APA. But the APA will get an ounce each of Ahtanum & Stirling this time.

Back