How long will crushed grain keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
I know it is best to use it as fresh as possible, but I am just curious if it will spoil if I don't use it say for 3 weeks. I am anxious to order my AG supplies from Northern Brewer and was planning on getting a kit to go with it. They charge a flat rate $7.99 for shipping so I want to do it all together. The 3 weeks is because of time constraints with work and watching my 2 toddlers. I don't want to be chasing them around while attempting my first AG batch.

So will the grain stale or loss any of its efficiency in that amount of time?

I don't think it'll spoil but it definitely won't be fresh. I'd vacuum seal it if I were you. Keep it in a cool dry place in a container with as little O2 as possible.

I'm not sure but I think the AG kits from Northern Brewer come sealed. Email to confirm but I think they are if so you will be fine.

I'm not sure but I think the AG kits from Northern Brewer come sealed. Email to confirm but I think they are if so you will be fine.

Just had a live chat with them (love that feature by the way). they are not vacuum sealed or anything. Just going to have to wait another week or so. patience...patience

I usually order 3 recipes at a time and just toss the crushed grains in the freezer.

Haven't had a problem with the grain at close to 3 months before brewing.

Ok. so I ordered my kit with crushed grain. How to store it to keep it the most fresh is the next question I have

Get a food saver and some bags at Costco or a liquidation store by you. It'll come in handy when you want to buy bulk hops too! :)

Back