How long until Krausen forms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates_Foreman

Reaction score
Just did my first brew today. Its a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. It's been about 8 hours. When will the beer show signs of fermentation? When should I start seeing krausen? I know the fermentation is a slow process, I'm just curious as it is my first brew and I guess I'm a little nervous. cheers! :mug:

P.S. The beer looks very flat on top. Dont know if that is normal in the first couple of days/hours, or if I need to shake the carboy up a little and aerate it!? Thanks!

I believe the yeast is still in its reproduction stage at this point and hasn't yet started the fermenting process.

Don't do anything. Just leave it alone. You are fine. Likely, fermentation has started already. You will likely see airlock activity in under 24 hours, but that depends on a lot of variables and there is a chance that you never see airlock activity.

Relax, it will be fine.

Beer will happen. It may take a while to start but it will be beer eventually.

I have gotten to the point that I do not even look at my brews for a few weeks. Guess what? I have never had one not ferment out in almost a 100 brews. I used to look at them all the time and worry if they did not start fast, but figured out that each fermentation is different. Some start fast and go crazy, some are slow starters and just chug along. They all start, they all become beer.

Just brew another batch and let this one finish. A good pipeline helps your learn the art of patience."..........

Beergolf,you've been around about as long as me,& you've done 100+ brews already? Dude,you must have money to burn on this hobby?...
Anyway,I've just about always pitched around 7pm,I see beginings of fermentation about 7am. Alls been great on that aspect till this last one. My 1st partial mash,midwest's cascade pale ale kit. 2 days later,not seeing anything. Popped the airlock out of the grommet for a peep hole look see (;):D). Big yeast rafts & a lil bit of foam around them. Reminded me of my first where I don't think I had more than a couple of bubbles out of it.
Yeah,I know,never mind the airlock. But it is a very good guage of initial fermentation when they take off normally. Not this son of the creeper stuff (anyone remember that character?) By the time I got out to JW Dover for another 05 & got back,the yeast rafts sunk & about an inch of krausen formed. I had been worried over my 1st PM like when I was a noob with my first extract kit. Others related like experiences to me. Interesting that all that aquired knowledge can go out the window with a new level experience in brewing. So the moral of this fractured fairy tale is RDWHAHB...it'll get to work in it's own good time...occasionally in a offbeat fashion. I think it just did that to F with my mind. Nobody likes a smartass,but oh well...:D

Beergolf,you've been around about as long as me,& you've done 100+ brews already? Dude,you must have money to burn on this hobby?...

I do love to brew. I think the count is around 95ish. I have done a lot of smaller 2 1/2 gal. batches as tests for recipes I write. I buy grain in bulk and wash yeast, so it does not really cost that much. Luckily I have a very supportive wife that loves the brews I make.

So did mine. She even picked up a kit & had me teach her how to brew. But diabeties came back & that's gone. She's upset that she can't drink on the upcoming holidays.
Anyway op,just leave it to it's own devices. It'll take off when it reproduces enough cells to visibly start fermenting.

So im not really worried about this, but it did start a question brewing..i pitched my yeast into an aamerican hefeweizen 26 hrs ago and already have 2 or more inches of krausen in the fermenter. Is that normal?

Sweet. I got really excited when i saw it..just had to ask. Recommend any good nooks so i have a bit more knowledge? Wanting to get more serious witht this hobby

I agree,those FAQs/Stickies have a lot of good info in them. That should be enough to get one started down the right path to good beer.

Back