How long to wait after adding campden tabs before adding yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon

Reaction score
It's been a while since I made any cider. And the last few times were probably not done quite properly anyway.

Juice has had pectic enzyme added and one Camden tablet per gallon. Does it matter if the Camden tablets are crushed? Or can they just go in whole? It's too late for this batch (I tossed them in whole), but I could do it differently next time of course.

From there, how long do I need to wait before pitching the yeast so the sulfites don't kill them? Does the cider need to be able to breathe to let the sulfites out first? I.e. can it stay in the gallon jugs at this time, or does it already need to be in the carboy with an airlock?

24-48 hours. If it were me, I would leave them in the gallon jugs, toss in a crushed campden pill, and tin foil them until ready to pitch and pour everything into the carboy. Tin foil will let gasses out, and is sterile. Other people add campden to the carboy with all of your cider.

I've always waited 24 hours but during that time my yeast has been in a starter (1/4 gal of just cider in a 1/2 gal jug). When I pitch it in it's teaming with yeast!

Back