How long to store in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetzie

Wetzelbrew
Reaction score
I primaried an IPA for 30 days and transferred to a 5 gallon ball lock keg about a month ago. The party has been pushed back another 3 weeks. Is storing home brew at room temp (high 60s) OK for about two months?:drunk:

You should be 100% fine. Your IPA may loose a little bit of fresh hop bitterness, but 2 months is a-ok for homebrew. Think of how long some beer sits on the shelf at your local liquor store.

Forever.

1238965_o.jpg

Wow! Nice patience. As said previously you might just loose some some hoppiness. You didn't mention if it is already carbed or not but if not, now is a perfect time to chill it down and start a nice slow 10-12 psi force carb. In three weeks it will be beautifully carbed and clear beer.

Dan said:
Wow! Nice patience. As said previously you might just loose some some hoppiness. You didn't mention if it is already carbed or not but if not, now is a perfect time to chill it down and start a nice slow 10-12 psi force carb. In three weeks it will be beautifully carbed and clear beer.

I wonder if I can add more hops in a sterile strainer ball? This may not clog the dip tube unless you think it is not worth the risk.
Thank you for the great response.

I wonder if I can add more hops in a sterile strainer ball? This may not clog the dip tube unless you think it is not worth the risk.
Thank you for the great response.

You could definitely do this if you wanted to bump up the hop level a bit. That being said, I think you have only lost a very minimal amount of hop flavor over the 2 month period (think of the differences from back in your bottling days between your first bottle in a batch and the last, probably not too huge) Personally I would do what Dan advised and start carbing up the beer so it is dead on in time for your party.

Just an update. I set the keg in the frig turned on the gas to 12psi and let it sit for 3 weeks. The day before the party I test tapped the keg and realized I turned the bottle on but not the valve on the gauge:eek:
I set the pressure to 18psi overnight and tested the next day and it was a little carbonated. The party came and people drank and loved it all so it was still a success. Now for many more, thank you all.:mug:

Back