how long to lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOG

Reaction score
My Mid-west red Lager has had 8 days in the primary and two weeks in the secondary so far.
I was going to wait at least two more weeks.

The directions say 3 to 12 weeks total

What say you? how long should I wait to bottle my first batch??

What temperature is the secondary? If you are 40F-45F, 4 weeks might be fine. If you are 32F-40F, I would leave it another few weeks further. With a lager typically the longer the better. I would recommend to leave in the bottle about three weeks at room temp then chill for a week. Total time (brew to drink) would be about 10 weeks. Enjoy!

Come on Brother! People already think the we Kentucky boys are inbred or retarded or both. You bothered to edit the post, but you didn't bother to spell lager right!

I mean it in good fun. I know that we from Ky are actually incredibly good looking, if not rocket scientists (examples: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, me) ;)

I recommend Lagering it in the bottle if you intend to bottle.

Hm, yes, comparing yourself to Tom Cruise, perhaps not the bestest of ideas.

[YOUTUBE]48_twUMgDkg[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah I hate him but evidently he is good looking when he keeps his mouth shut. I look more like Johnny Depp anyways;).........(in Edward Scissorhands)

WillPall said:
Follow those directions for that "larger."

Geeez, thank god you guys are perfect .

This is why I come here for advice.

I coulds be a stupic briar hopper buts I am smarts e nuff to ax you fellers for add vise.

Stupid is as stupid types

cheezydemon said:
Come on Brother! People already think the we Kentucky boys are inbred or retarded or both. You bothered to edit the post, but you didn't bother to spell lager right!

I mean it in good fun. I know that we from Ky are actually incredibly good looking, if not rocket scientists (examples: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, me) ;)

I recommend Lagering it in the bottle if you intend to bottle.

I know what you mean!

thanks for the bottling tip.

I neither look or claim to look like Tom Or Johnny

I would say more like a 42 year old John Goodman----Sorry

The question I pose to you is, Are you UK or U of L

King of the Swill said:
What temperature is the secondary? If you are 40F-45F, 4 weeks might be fine. If you are 32F-40F, I would leave it another few weeks further. With a lager typically the longer the better. I would recommend to leave in the bottle about three weeks at room temp then chill for a week. Total time (brew to drink) would be about 10 weeks. Enjoy!

It has been running about 45

thanks

ZOG said:
Geeez, thank god you guys are perfect .

This is why I come here for advice.

I coulds be a stupic briar hopper buts I am smarts e nuff to ax you fellers for add vise.

Stupid is as stupid types

hahaha, "briar hopper"... If I didn't know better, I would take that as racist:cross: Anyways, you have to excuse some of these old farts on the forum who have a zillion posts, they forget what it's like to be new at something, although they do answer 5, maybe 10 posts a day dealing with n00b questions. (flaming done in the name of good fun, no offense intended:mug: )

Not that I do a lot of lagering (translate "a lot" to "any") it would make sense to do the last couple weeks of your lagering in the bottle so you have yeast still available to carbonate your beer. Let me know how this works out, I plan do do a lager in the near future when I get my fermentation cabinet finished.

deathweed said:
hahaha, "briar hopper"... If I didn't know better, I would take that as racist:cross: Anyways, you have to excuse some of these old farts on the forum who have a zillion posts, they forget what it's like to be new at something, although they do answer 5, maybe 10 posts a day dealing with n00b questions. (flaming done in the name of good fun, no offense intended:mug: )

Not that I do a lot of lagering (translate "a lot" to "any") it would make sense to do the last couple weeks of your lagering in the bottle so you have yeast still available to carbonate your beer. Let me know how this works out, I plan do do a lager in the near future when I get my fermentation cabinet finished.

briar hopper is far from a racist term at least as I know it

I think I am going to let it sit two more weeks then bottle for 4 more weeks

thanks all

In New Brewing Lager Beer, Greg Noonan bases secondary fermentation/lagering times largely on OG. I.e., 7-12 days (let's just call it 10) for each .008 of OG. So, if I'm interpreting him correctly, a 1.048 OG lager would traditionally be secondaried/lagered for 60 days. He goes on to say that lagering times can be reduced if the temperature is lowered to 30-33F immediately after secondary fermentation. He also states that bottle conditioned beer (homebrew in bottles) should be lagered at atmospheric pressure (i.e., not in the bottle).

That being said, I usually primary my lagers for 2 weeks (including diacytel rest, if necessary), 4 weeks lagering, and 3 weeks in the bottle... and they turn out well (IMO).

just put my first "larger" in the primary. what about kegging? i plan on lagering in the secondary for 4-6 weeks.

OK the FG is still 1.013 after 1 month of lagering.

I sampled it and it tasted like a red lager should, I am very happy about the normal taste to be sure.

I am going to go two more weeks in the secondary before bottling.

just put my first baby in the secondary and started lagering two weeks ago. i've since started two other batches. kinda starting to forget about my lager. guess that could be a good thing!

Back