How long to keep Sanitizer solution in spray bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryhz

Reaction score
Anyone know how long we can store Star-San sanitizer solution in a spray bottle?

I use an ounce of Starsan per 5 gallons. So for my next brewing project, when I utilize 5 gallon solution, I want to fill a spray bottle, so I can have sanitizer solution ready on hand whenever I need to (such as when I rack to secondary, or other miscellaneous stuff).

A spray bottle of Star San is an awesome tool.

As long as you mix it up with distilled water, it will last pretty much forever.

Good luck!

It's acidity makes it efficient. Cloudiness is a good indicator, but some with hard water mix StarSan fresh and have it cloudy but it's still in the 3.5 pH range to be effective.

I don't have hard water. I use it for 2-3 brews before, like FLARS, I use up the spray.

Cloudiness is NOT a good indicator of the pH of StarSan.y water makes fresh StarSan cloudy as soon as it is made. I check the pH and it's 2.8.

I keep 5 gallons in a bucket or a corny keg and reuse it as much as I need to. You'll lose some transferring from place to place but you'll always have a few gallons. Get some pH strips and research how low of a pH you need to use StarSan. You'll be amazed.

I always make a fresh batch on brew days and refil the spray bottle. I've checked the ph 6-8 weeks between brewdays and it's always been fine, but I always put refill the spayer with fresh starsan when I make a new batch.

If you are soaking thing in a bucket with Starsan it will loose some acidity but in a spray bottle it will pretty much last until you run out.

Get yourself a syringe and you can put 1.5ml into a quart spray bottle any time you need more. 6ml to the gallon if you want more, you don't have to make it five gallons at a time. Your water chemistry will dictate how long it lasts.

Back