How long to keep my lager in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I know I am fermenting my lager pretty warm, 60F, but how long should I keep it in primary this is 13 days. More importantly do i still need to do a D rest if my beer is this warm. I am using a white labs german lager yeast.

Depending on whom you ask, it can be anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks at that temperature before lowering the beer down to lager temps.. Palmer advises to ferment lagers in glass carboys so you can tell just when the krausen has peaked and started falling back into the solution. He also recommends the lagering temperatures be no lower than 10 degrees below the fermentation temp. That means, you'll need to lager your beer at 50f for about three to four weeks time.

You're shooting for about 3/4 worth of completed fermentation before you start to lower the temperature on the beer and lager it. The colder the fermentation, the longer the lagering period. Higher gravity beers take longer to lager than sessionable beers.

Back